Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Wheezing Guinea pig wheezing?

Katieo3o

Cavy Gazer
Hi, I'm Katie and I'm new to this site. I got my first guinea pig, Jace, about 2 months ago and everything has been fine up until this point. I am considering getting another guinea pig, so I decided to take Jace to the vet to make sure that all was well before getting another guinea pig. Unfortunately, as far as vets go, I had very few options. After weeks of trying I finally found a vet that treats guinea pigs. When I got to the vet he told me that he only treats about 4 guinea pigs a year and that he wasn't a guinea pig expert. He cleaned his ears, trimmed his teeth, and cut his nails. After putting a few drops of medicine in his ears he sent me away. He didn't really check him for anything, so I assumed he was fine, but now that we're home anytime I come near Jace's cage he makes this strange wheezing sound. He does have 1 watery eye that I told the vet about, but he didn't check out. I'm really worried that it might be a uri. I really can't explain the sound, but I found a video on youtube that sounds exactly like the noise he has been making. Does anybody know what this could be??

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think you need a better vet. Guinea pig teeth almost NEVER need trimming unless something is wrong with the back teeth, and you'd see other symptoms of that -- drooling, inability to hold food in the mouth, chewing funny, etc.

I'm not sure about the noise. Does he make it all the time, or just occasionally? I have one that makes low noises when she's talking to herself, but not very often.

Post the name of the city you're in or closest to, and we'll see if we can help you find an exotic vet.

Demiba

Cavy Slave
I can tell you that one of my girls makes this exact sound when she is extremely upset or scared about something. I took her to the vet the first time I heard it but all was fine. Since then she has made it a few times in her 2years plus, and it was always connected to a stressful time, such as arguing with her cagemate or traveling to a different place.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.