Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss treating for possible mites with Ivermectin - need help

lovemyguineas27

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

One of my 6 guinea pigs has been experiencing hair loss, so I have decided to go ahead and treat her for mites using ivermectin. I just had a couple questions:

1. This is the ivermectin I have purchased from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JAL3AAW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#.
It states that it is a pour-on product that contains 5mg/mL Ivermectin, so I am planning on using this dosing info from Guinea Lynx: https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin_pour-on.html.
I was wondering if someone could just verify that I am purchasing the proper product which corresponds to that Guinea Lynx chart. I know I am probably being obsessive but, as you can imagine, I would never want to hurt my piggy and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Also, has anyone else used a similar pour-on Ivermectin? What was your experience like?

2. Will it cause the pig pain to put the ivermectin directly on her bald patches? I know you are supposed to apply it on the neck behind the ears, but unfortunately that's where she has lost most of the hair.

3. Should I treat her cagemates even if they are not showing symptoms?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate any help you can provide!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Yes that is the right product to the correct dosage chart. 0.5% concentration translates into 5mg/mL.

I have used the same concentration for a mild mites problem and they stop itching within the first week, by the third week the hair on the only pig with hair-loss was growing back. It will be fine to still apply it behind the ears, and should not cause her pain (unless the skin is super sensitive due to the mites). Keep in mind you need to apply the treatment three times with one week between each treatment.

Yes you absolutely need to treat her cage mate, as even if she isn't showing symptoms she will have them on her.

lovemyguineas27

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much @Soecara! The pig in question actually belongs to my sister, who is away at college, and I would love to surprise her at Thanksgiving break with a very furry piggie :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.