Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Genital Injury

Brandy Alford

Cavy Gazer
I have a guinea pig that has been attacked by another pet guinea pig. The Injured guinea pigs scrotum/ genitals were harmed to the point that the skin was broken. I do not have the money to take my Pet to the vet nor is there a vet nearby to assist. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and if there is anything I can do to prevent infection?

First off don't put any antibacterial salve on it. Wash it with warm water.

Thank you TheDNDWIzard , can I use peroxide?

No, do NOT use peroxide. It damages the tissues and actually hinders healing. It went out of favor with the medical establishment many years ago.

First, clean it with a very dilute solution of Hibiclens, and rinse well. The active ingredient in Hibiclens is chlorhexidine, so if you can't find Hibiclens, you may be able to find a substitute. Rinse the wound well.

Does it look more like a scratch, or a puncture wound? If it's a shallow scratch, cleaning it may be all you need to do. If it's deeper, you need to keep a VERY close eye out for any signs of infection -- redness, swelling, tenderness, oozing, pain, etc. If you see that, he MUST see a good vet for a piggy-safe antibiotic. If the pig CANNOT reach the area with his tongue when he's grooming himself, you can put a tiny amount of a triple antibiotic cream on it. Use a q-tip, and rub it in well. But if the pig can lick the area, don't do this, because the cream has several compounds that are dangerous to guinea pigs.

You need to put back some money for vet visits. It's not fair to an animal to keep it and not be able to provide for its medical needs. Many people on this board regularly put money in a pig emergency fund for just such occasions as this. You also need to find the closest good exotic vet -- small animal (dog and cat) vets are not equipped to treat guinea pigs, and many will refuse to see them because they're not trained in their care.

When my male developed an abscess after his neuter, the vet gave me chlorhexidine and told me to dilute it (with warm water) to a light blue and soak the area in it. You can probably do the same thing to keep the wound clean.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.