Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Joy sleeping with eyes closed

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I have had my pigs for about a year and a half now and they always sleep with their eyes open, but today I saw Kiwi sleep with her eyes closed. It looked SO strange! Their eyes are almost vertical. All three of them are getting more comfortable with me and are starting to sleep out in the open with a leg kicked out. That makes me very happy. Has anyone else noticed the nearly vertical eyes?

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
By vertical, you mean, parallel to the crown of the head?

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I don't know where a guinea pig's crown is. LOL! Is it the same place ours is? I mean that they don't look horizontal like ours do when we close them. They aren't completely vertical but nearly. They look so weird!

Smashley

Cavy Slave
I'm also a little curious as to what you mean by "vertical". Do you think you could snap a picture of one of your piggies sleeping with it's eyes closed for us sometime?

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Slave
Sorry....I meant nose bridge. My brain is so dead today........Here is a picture of how my pigs' eyes are. If this is how your's are, it's perfectly normal.
IMG_7268.jpg
As you can see the top of the eye is parallel to the bridge of the nose, which is the bone that runs between the eyes and protects and supports the nose.

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I've heard if they close they're eyes, they're comfortable with you and feel safe closing their eyes while sleeping. Also, @Gforcepiggies , that is such a cute and high definition pigture of your pig! Super cute!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
That is a cute pigture! Looks like normal piggie eye location to me. What freaks me out more than Ferb sleeping with his eyes closed is when he has them half closed, it looks creepy.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
It was the first time ever. I guess I was just a little surprised at how they look when they're closed, but then again, I didn't get a good look at her profile, like the picture @Gforcepiggies took. I thought their eyes were a little "lower" on the side closest to the ear. Being a little slanted gives them vertical appearance when closed. I had to do a double take. I hope they continue to be comfy enough with me to sleep with eyes closed and outside of hideys with legs all sprawled out. It's stinking adorable.

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Slave
Haha! Thanks. Took me FOREVER to get a good shot of Sven. I understand completely, @Kelsie ! That used to happen to me too!!

heather.megan

Cavy Slave
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411221755.468490.jpg
It's about one of the cutest things. :)

LyssaAnnette

Cavy Slave
I was curious about the sleeping with eyes open thing too! When we first adopted Max he was very friendly and not at all skittish. We did notice him sleeping with his eyes half open though. He is a bit of a strange one though because even though he was new to our family, he didn't mind sleeping out in the open and came up to the cage to greet us as if he had known is for years. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.