Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites underside lost fur!!! URGENT!

pigslave1

Cavy Slave
My piggy, Peaches, lost 90% of his fur on his underside, has little flakes on his skin, and his skin is red and irritated. I went to the vet a few months ago, when it wasn't as bad, spent $50, just to have her say that it was allergies. Well I REALLY don't think so. PLEASE help. I have no idea what to do! I tried to upload pictures, but the camera wouldn't cooperate.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs don't usually get allergies. This sounds like either fungal, or very advanced mites.
https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Read through both these pages (and the other types of mites listed on the left side of the mites page) and see if any of the pictures look similar to Peaches.

In the mean time, rubbing some cold pressed virgin coconut oil in to his skin won't hurt, and it might give him a little relief temporarily. Don't bathe him until you know what it is, as if it's mites, you'll only make it worse.

Sounds like you need a new vet too. A good exotic vet, specifically.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How much is he scratching? And where?

It could be mites, but that's an odd hair-loss pattern for mites. It could be a fungus, or a bacterial infection. The symptoms of bacterial and fungal infections are very similar, and the easiest way to know which is which is to treat for one, and if it doesn't improve, treat for the other.

In your case, since it involves a fairly large area, I'd treat one end of the lesion (the one that it's hardest for him to lick or get his paws to) with a triple antibiotic ointment, available at any pharmacy. Put it on with a q-tip, and rub it in well. You don't want him to get it in his mouth. Treat the other end with Monistat or some other anti-fungal agent, also rubbing it in well with a q-tip. Apply both creams twice a day for several days. One end should improve, and the other may get worse. If one improves, switch to treating the whole area with that cream. Change your clothes and wash your hands well after treating him -- fungus, in particular, is contagious, and a bacterial infection can be as well.

The reason this treatment often works is that applying anti-fungal creams to a bacterial lesion won't affect it much, if at all. Applying anti-bacterial creams to a fungal lesion will allow it to grow and spread, because the beneficial bacteria that help keep the fungus in check are killed off, and the fungus has no competition.

If he's very uncomfortable, you probably need to see the vet again for a possible cortisone prescription, which would ease the discomfort. Just be sure you see an exotic vet -- dog and cat vets are usually a waste of time and money when guinea pigs are involved, and can actually be dangerous.

pigslave1

Cavy Slave
Do you use normal human triple antibiotic ointment? Thanks @bpatters!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep, the stuff you'd get from Walgreen's or CVS.

piggsters

Cavy Slave
I'll definitely be praying!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.