Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Zip Ties Reminder - those cute little ones only hold so much weight

Chloe_s_mom

Cavy Slave
I'm starting to think, that with my constant remodeling, that I should have bought a zip tie factory ;)

That being said, I bought a huge bag of little ones (50 lbs, the strength that is, not the size of the zip tie bag!) and had a good reminder recently that they aren't perfect, to not economize on them. I was taking apart a portion of my loft, trying to clip zip ties from a difficult angle. I was also trying to remove some connectors so when two grids wouldn't pull apart, I assumed that it was a missed connector - turns out it was a missed zip tie and I was able to break it by simply pulling hard enough (I was annoyed). That surprised me, and was a good reminder to really 'double' up on zip ties, esp for bases.

For a raised, two storey cage (earlier design), I not only hammered the connectors into place with a mallet, but I also used large zip ties, in a criss-cross pattern, across the connector itself.

pinky

Cavy Slave
My cages are made with 75 lb strength zip ties and no connectors. The 75 lb strength ones are very strong.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't often disagree with Pinky, but on the subject of using connectors.....absolutely. Connectors add strength and stability to a cage and stand that using zip ties alone can't do.

Chloe_s_mom....you don't need to hammer the connectors in place. I use a pair of channel lock pliers to "ease" the grids all the way into the connectors. I then secure the joint by using heavy 6-8" zip ties. The secret to having an uber-sturdy cage is to finish it with a drop of hot glue everywhere the grids join connectors. (A high-temperature hot glue gun is one of my favorite tools for a variety of projects.)

My cage is constructed as one piece and my stand constructed separately, and then joined together with zip ties. The whole thing is on casters so that it can be moved out of the corner for cleaning. Should you wish to remodel, that same mallet can be used to dismantle the cage. I occasionally lose a connector in the process, but that is a really small trade-off for the long-lasting stability of the cage and stand.

I build cages on the side and have probably built as least 30; maybe more. Connectors and zip ties both work well as long as you build the cage properly and you plan them to hold up under the conditions you expect. My preference is for zip ties alone, though, because those cages will withstand almost anything. If I was building a cage and had a large dog or kids that might try and get into it, I'd use the 75 lb. zip ties alone to build it because the zip ties have a little give to them and won't crack like connectors might. It could support the weight of a large dog on top it. I wouldn't build a double decker with connectors and zip ties. I tried that and it wasn't solid enough. As far as a personal experience, my husband was hanging a rod above my double decker and slipped off the ladder. He fell onto the cage and, not only did it completely support his weight, none of the zip ties snapped and the cage didn't suffer any damage. I feel confident with the 75 lb weight or more zip ties since they've been tested to hold that weight.

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
I must have used 200 of those silly little zip ties when I put my cage together, and it is only a 2x4 with a 2x4 loft, I also used all of the connectors.

However I had misplaced a pin for my drop pin style dog crate and started looking into zip ties I would use for that. I came across these special zip ties for use on playground equipment, I remember they were very strong and designed so that once you trim the excess off the ends are positions so you are less likely scratch yourself, they also came in really cool colors lol. I ended up finding the pin I was missing so I did not buy then but I have been wanting to try them for my lid since I am always scratching myself. Since one of the places that makes them is 45 minutes from me I really need to remember to get some, try them out, and let everyone know if they work well for the cages.

Chloe_s_mom

Cavy Slave
Pls let me know the name of the brand! Hate that we scratch ourselves constantly!!!

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
Sorry it took me so long to respond, just have not been having much time lately. Anyway, these are the ones I had been wanting to try and the place is like a 30 minute drive from me (broken link removed)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Ace Hardware carries the 75 lb strength ones but they're expensive. Menards sells them for $2.97 for 100. I bought them at Sears but I think they were discontinuing them. I think most hardware stores would sell them.

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
Finding the 75lbs ones it not hard, at least around here, I was just interested to see if these 'low profile' types really do keep the sharp edges away. My piggies are safe from the sharp ends but I am not lol. The price is a bit steep on them though just to experiment, that was why I was considering actually going to the place that sells them next time I am in the area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.