Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Mites or lice....?

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
I was washing Willow today when I saw some small brown speaks on her rump. I cleaned her off and started looking at the small bugs upon her fur. No bites or anything they are just sticking on her fur.

I put her back with Juniper and picked up Pepper. Same bugs as Willow and they were only on her rump. Even if they are harmless I don't want bugs crawling around them and my pets...

Here is a photo of the bugs.

Mites or lice....?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Revolution would work, too.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
Do you think a vet is needed? All of my Gps have them. What do you think @bpatters

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not mites. They burrow under the skin and can't be seen. It's either lice or flea dirt. If the little things are sticking to the hair shaft and you have to pinch them to pull them off, it's lice, and those are the nits. If the stuff can just be flicked off the fur, it's probably flea dirt.

Revolution would be the drug of choice, I think, but you'll have to order it from overseas (I think you can get it through Amazon -- you want the stuff for kittens) or get a prescription from a vet.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
Does this mean they have fleas? How and how much for each pig?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, it means just what it said:

If the little things are sticking to the hair shaft and you have to pinch them to pull them off, it's lice, and those are the nits. If the stuff can just be flicked off the fur, it's probably flea dirt.

We'd have to know what the strength of the drug is that you get before we could calculate dosage.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
It will be lice if you can see them. The vet told me that if you can see the bugs they are lice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.