Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C It's done! Yay!

Mistic811

Cavy Slave
I just finished my c&c cage! ;) I'm super excited and can't wait to put my 2 males in it. However it's 1am and I'm tired. :( So I'll put all their goodies in it and try it tomorrow. They are in the 2 separate small cages.
i hope the don't burrow under the fleece. It is just laid down on 2 layers of uhaul pad. I want to cover the cage too. I have lots of grid left and would like to use it but not sure how without having to dismantle the whole thing when I need to clean. Ideas?

Ps I know it's pink and I have boys....it was the best of my options at Walmart and I don't think it's the best quality. :( I got zebra print too but I cut it up for small cage.

Attachments

image.jpg

PigglyWiggly29

Cavy Gazer
Not sure what your question is about the extra grids. But as far as fleece burrowing goes, you can put bricks in the corners to keep them from digging or binder clip your fleece to the coro.

Nice job on the cage, your pigs are going to love it!!

Bodhi

Cavy Slave
Why do you need a cover for the cage?
Do you have a cat, dog, or kid?

PigglyWiggly29

Cavy Gazer
I agree, if you dont have any other animals or kids, there is really no reason to have a cover. It is impossible for pigs to climb it

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
great job on the cage, and i think pink is cute for boys. lol

Mistic811

Cavy Slave
I have a kid and dogs so I need to cover it at least across the front. It will sit back against the wall and my cabinets will block sides. Sorry I wasn't clear in my post. I had actually typed it all out and then added pic and lost my whole post so I had to re-type. I would like to use my extra grids to cover cage. I can snap them in across the top front but it will be a pain getting piggies out and for cleaning having to snap them out and in. I'll check in to the bricks....I could put one in the corners and maybe on or two along the sides. :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Piggywiggly29, it's not impossible for pigs to climb. Boars are like expect rock climbers if they want to get out of the cage and in to ones with sows in, the only thing that stops them is a sturdy lid. Guineas are capable of climbing, it's just a rarity.
@Mistic811, If you have dogs and a young child it may be best if you can have the cage on a raised surface also. You can use closet shelving to make a lid which is much more sturdy than a grid lid, which should be a priority with other animals in the house. A closet shelving lid is also much more convenient. Your extra grids won't go to waste though! You can make hay racks, hideys, and other fun things out of them :)
As for fleece, you should have two sets (One in the cage, one in the wash, rotate, and repeat!), so if you haven't cut up your other set yet, cut it to the floor size PLUS the height of the coroplast walls. You can use binder clips to clip it to the coroplast, and that helps eliminate burrowing.

Mistic811

Cavy Slave
I will definitely be getting more fleece. I would like to clip it to coroplast, that would work nice. I think I'm gonna by a sewing machine. Lol I want to sew little pillows with my extra fleece pieces. I was also thinking of sewing all three layers together (2 uhaul and fleece) to make one solid blanket.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
If you're handy with a sewing machine you could make fleece flippers. It's exactly what you described, but it has a piece of coroplast in the middle. Fleece, uhaul, coroplast, uhaul, fleece. They fit in the cage nice and snug (another good burrowing deterrent!), and if say, one area gets dirty, you just flip that one over to the clean side. It saves you having to do huge changes all at once.

Mistic811

Cavy Slave
If you're handy with a sewing machine you could make fleece flippers. It's exactly what you described, but it has a piece of coroplast in the middle. Fleece, uhaul, coroplast, uhaul, fleece. They fit in the cage nice and snug (another good burrowing deterrent!), and if say, one area gets dirty, you just flip that one over to the clean side. It saves you having to do huge changes all at once.

ohh oh that sound interesting. I've have seen them on here but wasn't sure exactly how they were made. Can you wash them with the coroplast inside?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
No, if you make one end similar to a pillow case opening (so you just fold it under when you put the flipper in the cage), you can remove it for washing :)

Mistic811

Cavy Slave
I get it. Cool beans! Thanks!!!!

Mistic811

Cavy Slave
image.jpgIt's all in place now. I'm gonna work on flippers for the bedding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.