Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Would a bigger cage make my boars get along?

BigChiefHoho

Cavy Slave
I just accidentally got three boars (their owner was going to drown them, so I took them!), but one of them doesn't get along with the other two. He won't let them at the food and water and generally makes a dominant jerk of himself. I'm looking for homes for the other two now, because he's my favorite, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to keep all three if I just expanded the cage. The cage they're in now is horrible - 2' x 2', wire bottom, etc. It came from the abusive ex-owner. I'm already getting one a bit bigger from my parents - 2 x 4, but I know that's still barely big enough for one, let along three.

Anyway. I just realized that I have a space with up to 13.2 square feet that I could make a cage out of. First, is this big enough for three adult males? Second, would it keep them from fighting? Please help! I'd like to know soon so I can figure out what to do with them.

I would suggest a 2x6. This will give them each there own room. Make it have a second level. Use at least two water bottles, two food dishes, and two places for hay, as well as at least three hiding spots.

It is very important that you find some airplaine scissors and clip that wire bottom off ASAP. It may be possible to remove it. It needs to go or you may be faced with bumblefoot, which is VERY nasty.

Why not make a 2-level cage. Put the nasty pig by himself on one of the levels. If you want him to socialize a bit you can put him out with one of the other pigs during floortime, but sounds like putting all 3 together is too much.

If expanding the space still isn't helping, you can always try a "buddy bath". It's also possible that the dominant boar is going through puberty and it's just a phase. You know, re-establishing the dominance chain and all. I would suggest permanently separating them only AFTER there is bloodshed.
Look on the home page-there's a link on where you can find C&C cage supplies near you.
BTW, where in PA are you? Great to meet someone else in my "neck of the woods". =)
Good luck!

Go for the gold. 2x6 first floor with a second story loft, or even one on each side. Give your boars as much space as possible.

BigChiefHoho said:
Anyway. I just realized that I have a space with up to 13.2 square feet that I could make a cage out of. First, is this big enough for three adult males? Second, would it keep them from fighting? Please help! I'd like to know soon so I can figure out what to do with them.
13.2 square feet is not enough room for a 2x6 cage. You will barely be able to squeeze a 2x5 in there, but you would need 13.6 square feet even for that.

I think the best idea mentioned for now would be to build two stacked cages, one for the two submissive boars and one for the dominant boar. Also provide multiple feeding stations, water bottles, and hide-outs for them.

In my opinion, 2x5 is not going to be enough room for 3 boars because they need LOTS of room and you probably won't notice the dominant one letting up any in this scenerio. You would at least need a 2x6 with maybe some lofts, even then you never know if the dominant one will change or not.

I'm actually not sure now if the fighting is going to continue. They're getting along much better today - he's not bothering the other two at all. Perhaps it was just because of all the stress they had yesterday, moving into a new house and all. Anyway, I'm getting the materials today to make a better cage for them (incidentally, it's probably not going to be a 2 x anything, because the space I have is L-shaped - the surface area is in my gallery). I'll try to put in some lofts, and I'll make sure there's room to divide it so the dominant guy can be alone if necessary. Right now it's looking much better, though. Thanks for all of your input!

Oh, and kat - I'm from Williamsport. :)

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.