Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Wood pellets, can I use without fleece?

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I use wood pellets with a layer of fleece. I'm out of town and have a friend staying with the GPigs and she mentioned it's getting smelly even though she's scooping the poop. My pellets need replaced soon anyways so I'm wondering if the pee isn't absorbing well. For the sake of ease I'm wanting to tell her to just remove the fleece and let them pee and poop right on the pellets and just mix them up daily to get the dust to the bottom. Any reason this isn't ok for a few days?

Do you have beds for them to lay on? When I used mainly pellets, I had carefresh for them to lay on or fleece layers for them to lay on, more like pee pads. Wood pellets, can I use without fleece?

Good timing on question. I was considering using just pellets in kitchen area (fleece in rest). No help but curious what others have to say.

Good timing on question. I was considering using just pellets in kitchen area (fleece in rest). No help but curious what others have to say.

This is exactly what I do. Pellets in kitchen and fleece over pellets everywhere else. No problems so far.

I occasionally just use pads in several places. They'll be fine as long as they've got someplace comfortable to sleep.

My pigs will not walk on the pellets unless there's fleece on top. If I just put a few fleece pads down they will stand on their fleece pad and refuse to walk on the wood pellets at all. Similarly, they won't use a ramp at all unless it has fleece on it, even if the other material on the ramp has better traction than fleece. Maybe I just have overly spoiled diva pigs, but I have to use fleece on top of my wood pellets.

Another one with pellets in kitchen and fleece over pellets everywhere else. No problem. I'd guess it just depends on your piggies. They are the boss on this one lol

I used only pellets in the kitchen area and fleece everywhere else, and I noticed that my pigs actually preferred lounging in the kitchen with just the pellets. So, I think it just depends on the pigs on whether or not they like it, but it wouldn't actually hurt them!

My friend doesn't use a layer of fleece under bedding......you should be fine.

I also use just pellets in the kitchen and fleece in the rest of the cage. But my piggy runs around like crazy on the plain pellets when I take the fleece out to shake or change..lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.