Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Why Guinea Pigs?

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
With such a variety of pets to choose from, I have began to think to myself, why am I drawn to guinea pigs? I'm sure we all have some different answers to this question and I thought it would be fun to share them!

For me, I like the level of patience and effort required to get your guinea pig to trust you. Many animals are instinctively outgoing and will bond to people, especially their owners, quite easily. I find it very rewarding when after weeks or even months your pet guinea pig will finally run up to the side of the cage when you walk in the door, rather than hide. Or when they would initially squeal in fright when you try and pick them up, they then stay still to let you pick them up and actually enjoy lap time. It is a trait about them many find frustrating, but I really enjoy the process of gaining trust, and to me it makes the bond that much stronger :)

How about you? What do you find most rewarding about your guinea pig, and why are you drawn to them as pets?

I agree about the trust and bonding. (It's also why I prefer cats to dogs. When a cat sits in your lap or tries to groom you like mine do you know they like you. Whereas a dog will jump on anyone.) I like that it takes time, because I know the bond will be stronger in the end. When my guinea pigs ate carrots while I held them the other day I practically squealed, because I just got them this past Friday.
Also there's just something about the "rodent" type pets. I just find them all unbelievably cute. Guinea pigs are at the top of that list for me.
I like all the cute little noises they make and of course watching them popcorn.

I love how something you wouldn't think of having a personality have such HUGE personalities and getting to know them. A lot of people just think of them as "just a rodent" and wouldn't even give it a second thought but they are each so unique and different, it's really amazing to me.

I also love the trust and bonding, although my boys are still getting used to me. A few weeks back when I had only had my boys a week and they were around a month old, my Chocolate got out of his play pen and ran behind a dresser. Everybody started worrying about how to get him out and I just leaned down to his level, called him a few times and he came right over to me even though he was still skittish. I could tell he was scared but the fact that he went the 5/6 ft to come to me instead of just hiding in the corner, truly changed something in me. :love:

I actually moved into a small apartment and couldnt bring my dog, who is staying with my mother till i can get a better place. I always a had a pat around and love the companionship i develop with my pets. I was looking into a small animal that can be keep in a pin that i can take out and spend time with. I was going to get a hedgehog but ran across an ad for a guinea for re-homing. after a little research, I found I had most of the things to take care of a guinea so I went to look at her and feel in love. and that is why I have a guinea.

These are all great answers! I should have added too the noises and popcorning! I think they are such funny little creatures they can really make me laugh!

After Emily's hamster rerun died, she mentioned getting a guinea pig. Once we learned how social they were we got her one. Then Norm decided HE wanted one. Then I decided I wanted one (and of course the one I got ended up being pregnant *rolling my eyes*). So after she has them, we are going to keep one and share the rest with our friends in town that have a GP each. :D It has been so much fun watching them run around, popcorn, squeak when I rattle plastic bags begging for food, etc.

I actually used to have a guinea pig when I was very little but my parebts gave her away because she chewed on EVERYTHING when out of the cage. Of course nobody really knew hoe to care for her properly.
I was looking into getting a cat. I had cats all my life but only when i lived with my parents. And when it came time to making a decision, i freaked out and had an anxiety attack. i have never had an animal on ny own before so i got scared. And my back up plan was getting a guinea pig, so i declared my choice to my husband. So of course we got her at a petstore. And when i actually begam my research afterwards, i realized it wasnt as easy as i thought. Now i have two little babies and gave them everythig they need to live happily, and still improving! I do not regret my decision because they are just such wonderful joy to watch. They calm me down when i hold a pig in my lap, and just make me so happy. They also have helped me become not only a responsible pet owner, but a more responsible person. I have two little babies to worry about and care for! Although, i still plan on gettig a cat sometime in the future. :)
I love my pigs and would not give them up for anything. And definitely do not regret my rash decision. :)

My guinea pigs always calm me down and make me so happy, in a way they make me a more responsible person as well! Really having them as pets has made my life so much brighter in many ways :)

I just love how they're such fascinating little animals, and how they have their own care world in which people gather as a cavy community.
There's something about their little faces that, when they look at you, just seems to say "I love you and I depend on you for life" more than most pets. It really tugs at my heartstrings.

I have to add my story.

I decided I wanted one in high school, and Mom carted me off to petsmart (didn't know about re-homing) And I looked at all the cuties and there was one left over to herself, I said "I wanna hold her" Mom thought it was a bad idea, but she let me. And I fell in love, head over heels magnifantly in love with this little black ball curled up close to my chest. Her name was Rose, but we always called her Rosie. She was one of the few that done so well without another piggie. Then a friend of mine decided she didn't want hers, of course I took her to live out her life with us.

There have been others, such as 'big boy' and 'Mama' who took their place and won me over. However it was years later that I would walk into a rescue and meet George. I got him out and he done the same thing Rosie did. He loved me from the start. His brother not so much. It took me forever to get Charlie aclimated to me. I really felt more accomplished with him. And then I got an message, where two lil boys needed to be taken care of, and I went. They've been my biggest challenge, but I will win my lil boys.

So what made me love them, a beautiful attitude prone heard headed queen of the house lil black ball that won me over.

It was an accident for me. Without going into too much detail, I volunteer at a youth center with a lot of at-risk kids. One girl came with her face all banged up and crying with two guinea pigs in a shoebox. Her dad said he was going to drown them, so she ran away from home. No-one else could take them and I had an old cage from my ratty days sitting in the basement...

Well, the too-small rat cage was quickly upgraded to a C&C with some fleece, and here we are.

I haven't heard back at all from their original owner, so I'm really worried about her, but I'm glad her babies have a safe home. I probably wouldn't have picked guinea pigs without being thrust into this situation (so much heartbreak comes with small animals with short lifespans), but I'm glad they're a part of our family.

That's funny, I was just talking to someone about this! Well, like most other people, I first saw them at the petstore and became interested because I was told they were social and active during the day, unlike a lot of other small animals. I went home and spent hours on the computer researching, when I decided guinea pigs were the pets for me. I love them because they love to sit in your lap and snuggle and also because they are very vocal! Since I have gotten my two girls, Sugar and Spice, they have really bonded to me and will week whenever I come into the room and love seeing what I am up to.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.