Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Where do you get your hay?

jamielk92

Cavy Slave
I've had a lot of trouble with hay since the beginning. I'm wondering where everyone else gets their hay and what their recommendations are?

The problem I have is that there is too much 'not hay' in my hay. clover, weeds, twigs, crushed up hay powder, etc. It takes me 1+ hours just to sort enough actual hay out to last them ONE day. I spend the majority of my free time, when I'm not working, sorting hay.

Now I know everyone else can't possibly be doing this. Right...?

So where have you had good experiences with hay? I've been ordering from Sweet Meadow Farms. I haven't ordered from KMS because I'm in CT and the shipping is a lot. I've also tried Oxbow (in the beginning from pet stores) and it's always seemed to be tougher hay and lots of brown which my girls won't eat.

Please help! I don't have time for this!

I look on my local Craigslist and I can usually find some great 1st-3rd cut hay that is grown locally. You might want to give that a shot. Look for hay that has been stored inside and always make sure that there has been no added pesticides. Also always make sure that you choose the freshest hay! You can usually buy a good sized square bale for $7.00. Any more would be a bit expensive depending on the qualtiy of hay. Sorry for the rant, hope this helps!

i buy hay from KMS because its the best hay i've found. i've looked for local hay but all i find is 1st cut and my pigs wont touch it...though my horses have loved the bales that my pigs would barely even touch. i'd love to finally find something my pigs like so i dont have to order online but till then the only hay i buy is KMS. i've bought some hay from sweet meadow and it was pretty good and the pigs liked it but they love KMS even more and so do i love how green, soft and sweet smelling the 3rd cut timothy is from KMS.

anyways if you can find good local hay that your pigs like then go that route...get alot of hay for a good price

I get oxbow hay at my local agway. They sell sweet meadow too, but that always looks brown and gross. On the oxbow bags, there is a guide to how coarse or soft the hay is. I feed the western Timothy and it is in the middle. She does leave the coarsest pieces, but its not much compared to what she does eat. I saw oxbow at Petsmart and it looked brown and gross. I guess it depends on the supply.

Go to a farm store and check out their hay. It is sooo much cheaper! And often very good. Make sure it's Timothy, not alfalfa. You can see the bales to decide if its something your piggy's would like. I just don't have room for a bale of hay in the apartment so I'm stuck with the bags. :(

I buy awesome organic 2nd cutting by the bale from a local farmer

I also buy from a local farmer. Its a really nice, green 2nd cut grass mix.

I order from KMS, shipping for me was only $30 for 45 lbs (and the hay itself was $30), so my price-per-pound is about $1.33 including shipping. I've seen all kinds of hays and to me KMS is the best.

My price per pound is less than 10 cents and my pigs actually like it better than KM hay. Shipping for me from KM is like $50. :O I truly believe in finding local farmers. KM hay is really good, no doubt, but it truly is a money drain and most piggies will like pretty much any kind of fresh hay. :) Good luck.

I get It local, and order from KMS, I sometimes get Oxbow(online cause its cheaper) and Sweet Meadow as I like a mixed verity. Have you tried looking for hay here (broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.