Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss When to Get Your Pig a New Friend After His Dies?

Kinui

Cavy Slave
Hi all.

Just last night, my boy Gilbert, very suddenly decided to take a trip to the Rainbow Bridge.

My question is, how soon do I get a new companion for Pepper? I don't want him to get depressed but I don't know that I should force change on him too quickly. He has a lung/breathing condition that gets worse when he's stressed and I don't know what the best course of action is. I work at an animal shelter so I could possibly get another pig as soon as tomorrow. There's even one I've had my eye on for awhile.

That being said, in all honesty, I don't think I'm personally ready to "replace" Gilbert so quickly. I think I'm still in shock/denial over the whole thing, which is why I can even write this without crying (though I did quite a bit of that last night).

Anyways, I could just use your experience on the matter.

I am sorry you lost Gilbert :(

because of Pepper's condition, I would get him a friend soon. You would still need to do a 2-4 week quarantine, so I don't think it would be pushing anything on him. Again, I am sorry :(

Depending upon what he died from, I'd have Pepper examined by a vet to rule out illness if that might have been the cause of Gilbert's death. If he has a clean bill of health, I'd consider getting him a friend whenever you're ready. I'd still do a quarantine to be on the safe side. I'm really sorry to hear about Gilbert.

I am sorry for your loss.

I would get pepper a companion as soon as possible.

And I think mostly a guinea pig doesn´t really grieve for a dead friend, they are just lonely and therefore giving them time makes it worse rather than anything else.
I only once had a left over pig (they live in groups) and I took her companion to the vet in the morning, when I came back around midday she already seemed stressed and skittish (which she never was before) I introduced her right away.

(And I am probably alone with this opinion, but I wouldn´t do a quarantine if that means that two cavies have to live alone for weeks (not even if one pig had to live alone, actually) but I never really did a proper quarantine anyway, I make sure they come from responsible rescues (where they were long enough to make sure they aren´t sick (and therefore already did their quarantine) and that their faeces where tested for coccidiose)

Change is usually what can prevent depression as it will distract both Pepper & you, either by getting him a friend as soon as you know he's healthy & the other pig properly quarantined, or by changing your routines such as feeding times, lap time, moving things around in his cage more often & more floortime.

Try not to feel like you are replacing Gilbert, you are saving another animal in his memory. But you'll know when you're ready & there is no need to force it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.