Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight What is a good weight for a adult female guinea pig?

Millieex

Cavy Slave
Hi, i was just wondering what the normal/good weight was for a adult female piggie.

If you look around, you'll see information that says an adult female should weigh about 900 grams. But I think that's outdated. There are plenty of posters who have adult females weight 1200 grams or more -- my own two bounce between 1250 and 1300 grams.

GPs are like people -- they have different bone structures and body types. Some are small, others are much larger. To me, saying that an adult female guinea pig should weigh 900 grams is like saying an adult female woman should weigh 130 pounds -- grossly overweight for some, and skinny as a rail for others.

My guinea pig floss weights 680g. Is this underweight? She eats a lot. How can i help her put on weight?

My biggest candy weights 880g.

How old are they? Are they big-boned? small-boned? Are they healthy? Do they feel skinny? or fat?

A lot of things go into ideal weight, so it's impossible to say without knowing more about your guinea pigs. If your heaviest is 880 grams, they're almost certainly not overweight, though I guess that's possible if she's really small-boned.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'd feed them as much as they want, as long as the thing they get the most of is hay, and the least is pellets and fruit. If they get too heavy, you can always cut back.

Hmm... There around 8 months.

Mine went on gaining until they were almost a year old.

Start yourself a weight chart, and weigh them on the same day each week, same time of day. That way you'll be able to know if they're gaining normally.

A lot of it also depends on their length and bone structure. I have one females that's 2 lbs. 3 oz. that looks really fat and another that's 2 lbs 8 oz and she looks more proportional. The difference is, the one that weighs less in a smaller guinea pig. I wonder if anyone ever came up with a weight index chart for guinea pigs based on their length and weight?

I was wondering this too because I have texels and I know texels are bigger guinea pigs and I also got a teddy (mix) that seams a lot smaller than they were at her age and I was just wondering the same thing, you guys do make a good point on the breed, bone type, ect.

pinky, there was some discussion on Guinea Lynx about such a weight chart. I think the difficulty of determining the length of the pig was a problem. I know mine proved most uninterested and uncooperative in my determining their lengths.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.