Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? What breed is my guinea pig - floss?

What A cute guinea pig! She has beautiful eyes & a wonderful coat!

Thank you! Duff is smaller than average too. He is fully grown but just kind of petite. I think he may have been the runt of his litter but don't let his size fool you. He more than makes up for his smaller size with his rampunctious personality LOL

When you cut their hair what do you use?

Floss is pretty small too. She is fully grown now but she is petite compared to my biggest - candy, he uses he bum to but her out of the way. Floss is wild too, she is very confident in approaching you but doesn't like her fur to be touched - she will kind of buckaroo & jump :)

Yeah, Duff does the same thing (bucking and jumping) but he settles down quickly once you have him on your lap.

Is Candy a boy or a girl?

Girl - I have three girls. Candy, Floss & Bubblegum :)

Ahhh okay. I figured that was the case but you said "he" so I wanted to make sure.

@longlostcurls -- very sharp scissors. And Ruffles still jumps and screams as if every hair had a nerve ending in it. Her sister, Flourish, is much more laid back. You could cut her hair to the skin and she'd just sit there.

@longlostcurls -- very sharp scissors. And Ruffles still jumps and screams as if every hair had a nerve ending in it. Her sister, Flourish, is much more laid back. You could cut her hair to the skin and she'd just sit there.

When giving her a trim she wouldn't keep still, I tried wrapping her in a towel then trimming little bits - she wasn't having it. We had to bath her then she jumped out the washing up bowl & went running round the enclousure. She then was kind of perching, with her front paws on the bowl so we could cut.

She is a very weird & funny piggie!

It takes two of us to cut Ruffles hair, one to hold the guinea pig and the carrot(s), the other to cut. Besides, I just think it's safer for them to do it that way -- they're less likely to jump and impale themselves on the point of the scissors, or to scare me and make me cut either them or myself.

Wow! I'm not sure what she is except super cute.

I have two abbies and one has mostly black fur but one has mostly white fur and when I put on their new fleece liners I did not wash them enough so Chloe's bum is stained. Do you just leave them with stained fur? Will it go away or will I have to cut it?

The color may go away sometime soon, it may not. My Flourish has a permanent green stain on the white fur under her chin, and no amount of shampoo will get rid of it. I think I'd have to dip her head in bleach to get her clean!

Regardless, hair is continually falling out of GPs (and us, too, come to think of it), so it will eventually go away. You can always keep trimming it if a good bath doesn't do the trick.

I will give her another bath before it gets cold which is usually around Halloween and if the stains dont go by then she will get a nice little trim. By the way, does anybody know if gp's shed with the seasons like cats and dogs? I swear they are shedding alot more than usual.

Mine seem to shed ALL the time, the short-haired one more than the abby. It's one reason I quit using fleece. I got tired of trying to de-hair it before washing it.

I'd say an abyssinian peruvian mix :) Adorable! I LOVE long haired pigs!!

By the way, does anybody know if gp's shed with the seasons like cats and dogs? I swear they are shedding alot more than usual.

As bpatters said, it does seem like they shed a lot all the time but there is a certain time of the year that my pigs seem to shed ALOT I mean sometimes it's like when you see if any hair comes out by 'gently' pulling (using barely any force!) like 15 hairs will come out! It's only one time of year and then it just passes and then back to their normal amount of crazy shedding.

About her breed, pretty much just like everyone else said, Abyssinian/peruvian silkie mix. Her hair in the pictures looks like it's more soft/shiny but I could be wrong about her being a silkie.

The pigs breed is - Absolute cuteness!!! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.