Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? What breed is my guinea pig - floss?

Millieex

Cavy Slave
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell my what breed of guinea pig floss is. When she was younger her hair was medium length and had rosettes so I thought she was an abyssinian. She then became ill and was on antibiotics, I think the trauma and stress led her to nibble of her own hair. She got better and her hair grew back - and kept on growing and growing. Now it is long and wild. her hair still seams the have roseettes as does not all grow from one parting.

What breed(s) is floss?

What breed is my guinea pig - floss?
after she bit her fur off - she left a little tuft at the top of her bum.

Her fur now

Thanks x

Hmm well the top pic looks very definitely like an aby but the second two pics look possibly peruvian

I know! could she be a mixed breed?

I would say the chances are good that she is a mix of some kind. Definitely some aby in there. Her fur might be longer but you know from the younger pics that she's part aby. Looks to me to be part aby, part peruvian. It's possible there's a bit of something else in there as well but those look to be the two prominent breeds.

Thank you very much! so she is half abby half peruvian :)

She is adorable. I agree. Abby and peruvian/silke.

Hmm gosh, looking at the pics again, it might not be peruvian. Peruvian is definitely long-haired but it tends to be more single length and drags on the floor. With the aby mixed in, it ads some wave to the fur rather than straight down so its difficult to be sure.

thanks for all the comments! :)

Abby/peruvian mixes are usually called Abyruvians (or Abbyruvians). They do have wild hair, and it usually depends on how long it is. Our Ruffles has a huge rooster tail when her hair is growing out after a hair cut, but it flops down after it gets longer. She always has rosettes on her front half, but only on her back half when then hair is short. Well, I guess she still has them them, but the long hair flops down over it so you can't see them.

Abby/peruvian mixes are usually called Abyruvians (or Abbyruvians). They do have wild hair, and it usually depends on how long it is. Our Ruffles has a huge rooster tail when her hair is growing out after a hair cut, but it flops down after it gets longer. She always has rosettes on her front half, but only on her back half when then hair is short. Well, I guess she still has them them, but the long hair flops down over it so you can't see them.

Can i see a picture of her? She sounds beautiful!

Our Ruffles has a huge rooster tail when her hair is growing out after a hair cut, but it flops down after it gets longer.

Oohhh my Duff has the same thing! He is an aby/peruvian mix and has this rooster tail down his rump. I had never seen that before on a guinea pig. I'm sure there have been plenty of aby/peruvian mixes but I had never seen one where the longer fur was in that area, in a cascade like it is.

Can I see a picture of duff?

Millieex, Ruffles doesn't have her rooster tail at the moment -- she just had a pretty drastic hair cut, and it'll be a while before it grows out. But she's the pig on the left in my avatar.

Both your piggies look cute. I have recently given floss a trim too as she developed at matt whilst staying at my nans while I was on holiday. :)

She looks like a peruvian to me

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.