Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Weird different kinds of Behavior? Need help!

GuineaPigs530

Cavy Slave
About 5 days ago, I just got 2 Female Guinea Pigs. One is mine, and the other one is my Sisters. They share the same cage, and now they are fighting. :sad: They chase each other, and my sisters Piggie, Lilly won't let Quinn eat all the time, Drink, or go in the Igloo. I'm not sure what to do. We gave them both a bath yesterday, so they have the same smell.. And the fighting went down a bit, but they always chase after each other.. Making that noise to 'Keep away'.. And I'm not sure how to bond.. Quinn I try to bond with, but she won't stop making that same noise of being scared. And My sister try's to bond with Lilly, she is more calm. But they just won't get tamed! I don't know what to do anymore, when I bond with my Quinn, I go and try to pick her up, but she is so scared. And this is what is worrying me, Quinn bite's her self down there, then come up and starts to chew.. Like she's eating her fur. I'm not sure what she is doing but I'm nervous. :eek: Please help with all of this!

For starters, guinea pigs can take up to a few month to get used to their surroundings, but you've been doing the right thing by holding them often. If you have any old hooded sweatshirts, you can use that to hold them in. I held my new girl Radley in it often when I first got her and she loooved it. They can stay in hood while you pet them, then if they get scared, they have the option to burrow in the rest of the hoody without you having to put them back.
Here is Radley showing off her hoody cozy:
Weird different kinds of Behavior? Need help!
:D Hope I helped!

Thanks! Its just when I hold Quinn and put like a towel over her, she freaks out!

Try putting the hoodie in her cage so she can climb into it herself, then scoop her up! Or you can use the elevator method, that's when you cut two circle holes on either side of a shoebox and put the box in he cage so she can climb into it, then you just pick it up while covering the holes with your hands, place on lap, extrude piggy! :)

Quinn bite's her self down there, then come up and starts to chew.. Like she's eating her fur. I'm not sure what she is doing but I'm nervous. :eek: Please help with all of this!

She is probably eating her poops! :) Not to sound gross, but guinea pigs do that a lot. Mine does anyway, and it's a normal behavior.

She is probably eating her poops! :) Not to sound gross, but guinea pigs do that a lot. Mine does anyway, and it's a normal behavior.

They do it because they can't process all the necessary vitamins and minerals they eat the first time, so they produce these "special poos" that they eat to obtain those vitamins a second time. I'm pretty sure it's something guinea pigs do that a lot of other animals don't, but I could be wrong.
Someone feel free to correct me on any of this :D

How big is your cage? It could be a space issue that's causing them to get irritated with each other. Make sure you've got more than one hidey with multiple exits so they can get away from each other if they need to.

Oh! Okay, thanks for telling me.

Try putting the hoodie in her cage so she can climb into it herself, then scoop her up! Or you can use the elevator method, that's when you cut two circle holes on either side of a shoebox and put the box in he cage so she can climb into it, then you just pick it up while covering the holes with your hands, place on lap, extrude piggy!

The problem with that is, Lilly she won't let Quinn do anything, she won't let let eat sometimes, drink, or go in the igloo. They always FIGHT!!!!

How big is your cage? It could be a space issue that's causing them to get irritated with each other. Make sure you've got more than one hidey with multiple exits so they can get away from each other if they need to.

Its HUGE!!!!! I'll show you a picture! That little door is a secret door!

Weird different kinds of Behavior? Need help!

Last edited:
The problem with that is, Lilly she won't let Quinn do anything, she won't let let eat sometimes, drink, or go in the igloo. They always FIGHT!!!!

Try this link! It's from CavySpirit and it has a lot of good information about adequate cage space, introductions, behavior during intros (so you know what's normal and what's fighting). When you read all this you will be able to tell if it's just rumblestrutting and chasing (which does look really heartbreaking sometimes, but you gotta let nature do it's thing) or serious fighting, in which case they should be separated immediately.

Guinea Pigs Social Life

:)

Its HUGE!!!!! I'll show you a picture! That little door is a secret door!

View attachment 22643

Can you provide the square footage? Looks a bit small to me. Two pigs need 10.5 sq. ft. of room or more.
The frontpage of guineapigcages.com is very informative about cage size.

I agree with Pocketmonster. Could you provide measurements? It looks tiny.

Can you provide the square footage? Looks a bit small to me. Two pigs need 10.5 sq. ft. of room or more.
The frontpage of guineapigcages.com is very informative about cage size.

45.5"L X 24.75"W X 36"H.... Big enough? Or know.

Ok back to basics...

1- how big is their cage

2- how old are they

3- by fight do you mean blood letting?

First get rid of the igloo, try to add some fleece or old sweatshirt material in the cage for each to hide in individualy.

You may need to have two water bottles, two food dishes on oppisite ends of the cage

45.5"L X 24.75"W X 36"H.... Big enough? Or know.

That's about 3.5 feet x 2 feet and a few inches.. Way too small. I have my single female in that size of a cage until her new friend arrives and I have to let her out for daily playtime because it's just far too small. I'm probably going to move her into a 2x3 c&c (which is actually 28"x42" since each cube is 14 in) or bigger if I can find the grids.
I'd suggest make a c&c that is 2x4 grids or more and until them, provide daily, hours-long floor time in a secure area with many hideys and things to do. Watch them too, of course. Remember, bigger cages mean happier, more peaceful piggies.

Ok back to basics...

1- how big is their cage

2- how old are they

3- by fight do you mean blood letting?

First get rid of the igloo, try to add some fleece or old sweatshirt material in the cage for each to hide in individualy.

You may need to have two water bottles, two food dishes on oppisite ends of the cage

1. The cage is 45.5"L X 24.75"W X 36"H.

2. There both 4-7 months

3. No blood. Just chasing, bullying, & making the noise of 'Back Off' And sometimes whimpering.

I will be trying to get 2 of everything. I bought everything, including them with my own money. So I have none left. We raised over 250 dollars!

That's about 3.5 feet x 2 feet and a few inches.. Way too small. I have my single female in that size of a cage until her new friend arrives and I have to let her out for daily playtime because it's just far too small. I'm probably going to move her into a 2x3 c&c (which is actually 28"x42" since each cube is 14 in) or bigger if I can find the grids.
I'd suggest make a c&c that is 2x4 grids or more and until them, provide daily, hours-long floor time in a secure area with many hideys and things to do. Watch them too, of course. Remember, bigger cages mean happier, more peaceful piggies.

It might be 2 small, but too hard. I don't know how many grids we need. And that cage was 200 dollars. My parents would be mad if I wanted a new cage.

It might be 2 small, but too hard. I don't know how many grids we need. And that cage was 200 dollars. My parents would be mad if I wanted a new cage.

All of the websites I have provided have ample information regarding the number of grids needed. I understand that it is expensive, which is why I suggest you provide daily floor-time until you are able to purchase the ample materials.
I understand it's rough that you just bought that cage, and it is pretty, but it seems to be more for a rabbit than guinea pigs, no matter what the manufacturer says. They don't care about proper animal habitats, they care about selling products so they put just about any animal on one cage: "For Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Hamsters, Ferrets, Mice, Rats..." Do YOU think that a hamster should really be kept the same cage that is suited for a rabbit? No way.
So make do with what you have, but if you want to end bullying, then you have to provide a better cage, plain and simple.

All of the websites I have provided have ample information regarding the number of grids needed. I understand that it is expensive, which is why I suggest you provide daily floor-time until you are able to purchase the ample materials.
I understand it's rough that you just bought that cage, and it is pretty, but it seems to be more for a rabbit than guinea pigs, no matter what the manufacturer says. They don't care about proper animal habitats, they care about selling products so they put just about any animal on one cage: "For Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Hamsters, Ferrets, Mice, Rats..." Do YOU think that a hamster should really be kept the same cage that is suited for a rabbit? No way.
So make do with what you have, but if you want to end bullying, then you have to provide a better cage, plain and simple.

Okay, I know.. Thanks for helping. Its just I just got it yesterday. AND We have to buy everything with my own money... I only have $3

Last edited:
Pocket: Can I see your cage?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.