Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Veterinarian recommendations near SE Michigan

Sirotan

Cavy Slave
Hi all, just hoping any members remotely close to Southeast Michigan could chime in with recommendations for a pig savvy vet. I'm already driving to Toledo for vet care, and my current practice (Dr. Lucy Rose at Bird & Exotic Pet Wellness Clinic, she is very good and I do recommend going here if you are local) is not able to perform certain types of surgeries currently (I think it is just due to capacity and staffing issues). My piggy has dental issues and a large bladder stone, and if I were to opt for surgery to resolve either issue, I am being referred down to a clinic in Indianapolis to have them performed. I've driven a pig down there for a high risk spay and would drive down there again if I had to, but would love to find something closer to home that is just as reliable and cavy savvy.

If you're within a 4 hour drive of Ann Arbor, Michigan, and you have a great guinea pig vet (especially with dental experience!), I would love to hear about them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can google "exotic vets near ann arbor michigan" (without the quotes), and look at the services offered by clinics and the qualifications of the doctors on staff. You might find one closer than Indianapolis.

Sirotan

Cavy Slave
You can google "exotic vets near ann arbor michigan" (without the quotes), and look at the services offered by clinics and the qualifications of the doctors on staff. You might find one closer than Indianapolis.
Thanks for the tip though I'm looking for something besides self reporting as a way to gauge vet quality. I've been to plenty of places locally that advertise themselves as having experience with exotics, that then end up telling me things like "guinea pigs don't get heart issues" etc (yeah, that really happened). Was hoping for some recommendations from folks with first hand experience.

AEMV membership is probably my absolute minimum requirement, unless I can get professional recommendations or reviews from other guinea pig owners who have had to deal with complex medical needs.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wasn't thinking of looking for "self-reporting" on the website. But most vet websites list the doctors' qualifications, including certifications of various kinds. At the very least, you should be able to find out if they have one or more doctors certified in exotic care.