Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection URI's can cause Ear infections?

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I have never heard of this before and quite honestly don't believe it.
I've been talking to some piggy people on a FB group, and one of the people's pigs has head tilt.
She took him to the vet and the vet diagnosed it as a URI.
I commented saying that head tilt is not a symptom of an Upper Respiratory Infection.

So long story short, they said their vet said that a URI can cause an ear infection which causes head tilt.
Is that true? I've never heard of a URI causing an ear infection.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In humans, and I presume in guinea pigs, the Eustachian tube runs from the ear to the mouth, so it's entirely possible for an infection to migrate in either direction from one to the other. The same continuous mucous membranes are found in the upper respiratory tract and the ear.

Head tilt is indeed a sign of an ear infection, but the infection could have been a URI which spread.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
In humans, and I presume in guinea pigs, the Eustachian tube runs from the ear to the mouth, so it's entirely possible for an infection to migrate in either direction from one to the other. The same continuous mucous membranes are found in the upper respiratory tract and the ear.

Head tilt is indeed a sign of an ear infection, but the infection could have been a URI which spread.

Thank you for clearing that up. As I said, I had never heard of that possibility before, so was very skeptical.
I learn something new every day. :p

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I have never heard of this before and quite honestly don't believe it.
I've been talking to some piggy people on a FB group, and one of the people's pigs has head tilt.
She took him to the vet and the vet diagnosed it as a URI.
I commented saying that head tilt is not a symptom of an Upper Respiratory Infection.

So long story short, they said their vet said that a URI can cause an ear infection which causes head tilt.
Is that true? I've never heard of a URI causing an ear infection.

A URI can trigger an ear infection, which can cause a head tilt -- and the head tilt can become permanent. Ask me how I know? I have a sow with a permanent head tilt due to a severe URI/ear infection she had as a pup.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.