Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners uhaul substitute material available in bulk/cheaper/by the yard????

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I like the idea of uhaul blankets for absorbing under the fleece. I currently have been layering old towels and I want something simpler. But I have been doing some research and the uhaul pads are too small for more than one cage and I would have a lot of "waste" pieces. I have tons and tons of towels for beds/little pads and I'd rather not spend $7 per cage when I have enough fleece for like 12 cages! I'm looking for something that can be purchased by the yard, that would absorbe like uhaul, that is cheaper but would stand up to lots of use and can easily be sewn. Any suggestions???

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
PLUS it needs to be able to be washed separately from the fleece. I want to make a pillow case type thing with the fleece and be able to just slip the absorbant material into the fleece. My washer and dryers in my apt SUCK so I need to be able to wash everything separately so cotton batting wouldn't work for me...

lissie

Cavy Slave
How big is your cage? (broken link removed) are 68" x 85", enough for a 2x6 when folded in half. If you need 2 sets, 2 pads will be enough.

If you're looking for something by the yard, you could try multiple layers of flannel fabric. They would be more expensive though.

Edit to add: since you're not sewing the pads to your fleece, I think 2 sets would be enough.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I like to change my cage every 3-4 days because of smell and my very messy boys. My cage is 30 inches wide by about 50 inches long inside measurements (a 2x3 with connectors) plus I have 2 of these cages (and sometimes 3 if I have a rescue pig come in). So I would like at least 3 changes for each cage so 9 sets and I want the uhaul to be double layered because my piggies drink/dribble an entire rabbit sized waterbottle (about 28-30 oz) equivilante of pee everyday. I currently have 3 layers of towels under the fleece and its sopping wet by day 3. So there for I would need 9 uhaul blankets and I'd rather not spend that much right now. Especially since I would be wasting a little edge it would be better to buy it buy the yard...

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
O and my one piggy is an obsessive chewer and has EATEN bricks that I tried to use to catch drips from the waterbottle! LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.