Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The nutritional value of grass

AliceTittle

Cavy Slave
I have been putting my piggies in an outdoor, secure run pretty much daily. I have found out that they both absolutly adore grass, and they stuff their faces with the stuff when in the run. The thing is, I'm not sure wether the grass counts towards the Vitamin C count or not, if it is ok everday and if I should be giving them the normal portion of veggies, or maybe a little less so they are not over eating?

I asked almost this same question five or six months back when I was refered here to learn about care for my Piggy. I think the answer was grass and naturals like dandilion are heathy as long as they are clean, not spotty, and other animals don't go potty there.That is really bad from my understanding. BUT to be sure about vit C they should have other veggies too.My girls eat Kale, leafy lettuces, some baby carrot, some grass that I grow in a pot,small amounts of clover for treats, dandilions if I can find them, and some times other goodies when I have them. I just read yesterday a post on what is okay from outside. I have seen others like cilantro, coriander,and peppers but not my girl.I havn't branched out with the baby yet.

Last edited:
Grass is more for fiber content than vitamin content. Keep feeding 1 cup of veggies per day per pig.

Grass is a great addition to their diet. It has more fiber than vegetables, closer to hay, and it has some vit c. However it has less fiber than hay and less vit c than vegetables so you should still keep feeding unlimited hay and a good amount of vegetables. I wouldn't cut the vegetables unless you can feed them alot of grass. I've been giving my 9 about 1pound of grass every day. Make sure not to feed them too much grass too fast. They need to get used to it slowly.

Ok. Thankyou!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.