Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Suggested Care List Items

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
I decided that I should be useful, and make a complete list of EVERYTHING you need to make a cage, and accessories to put in the cage!

Cage:
  • Grids (9 holes in 14 inches)
  • Coroplast
  • 4 inch Cable Ties
Bedding
  • Fleece
  • U Haul pad or towels
  • Binder Clips (hold up fleece)
Accessories
  • Pigloos/Hideys
  • Food dishes (1 per pig)
  • Water Bottle(s)
  • Cozies
  • Hay Rack
  • Cat Nail Clippers
  • Qwik-Stop
Food/Hay
I hope that this is everything! If I missed anything, please feel free to let me know so that I can make edits! Please also let me know if this was useful!

U Haul pad? are you talking about washable pee pads?

no she is saying uhaul pad. Uhaul pads dont last long.
Uhaul pads act like towels, and you can wash them

no she is saying uhaul pad. Uhaul pads dont last long.
Uhaul pads act like towels, and you can wash them
How long is not long to you? I have been only using mine a few months but they show no sign of any wear.

@NarwhalsRock

I don't mean to be rude, but this isn't a complete care guide. I can't think of all the other things to add.

You also don't NEED binder clips. I don't see why unless your Pigs burrow, and even half the time then they can still find a way around them usually.

Most people wouldn't recommend Pigloos, either. Cozies are nice, but not a necessity.

Personally, I see what you wanted to do with this thread. But 1: You can't edit the first post, so if you make a mistake you can't fix it for everyone to see. And 2: This usually is something that takes a lot of though and reflection.

Sorry, but it is true! Good luck though. I would love to see a very complete and thorough care guide, because most of this info is good!

Kanaka I meant to say pee pads sorry

Must be a brand thing because my mother has used the same washable pee pads for the last 2 or 3 years and they get washed just about more then anything in her house. not sure what brand she uses. wonder is she rememebers the name will have to ask her next time I call her

@Zuidy, fine. If I could rename it, I would name it "Guinea Pig Basics". I'm sorry if I can't get EVERYTHING.

How's this: YOU make a care guide that you are happy with, and I'll play critic. OK?

I meant that I would repost it with the edits.

Our of curiosity, what would you add?

@Zuidy , fine. If I could rename it, I would name it "Guinea Pig Basics". I'm sorry if I can't get EVERYTHING.

How's this: YOU make a care guide that you are happy with, and I'll play critic. OK?

I meant that I would repost it with the edits.

Our of curiosity, what would you add?

Erm, no need to get mad. I just don't want people getting confused is all.

And you said to let you know if it was helpful or if there was anything you could add. Sorry.

I apologize. I was being sarcastic. What would you add?

You can use a shower curtain instead of coroplast. That's what I did, it's cheaper, and easy to get a hold of.

I decided that I should be useful, and make a complete list of EVERYTHING you need to make a cage, and accessories to put in the cage!

Cage:
  • Coroplast
  • 4 inch Cable Ties
Bedding
  • Fleece
  • U Haul pad or towels
  • Binder Clips (hold up fleece)
Accessories
  • Pigloos/Hideys
  • Water Bottle(s)
  • Cozies
  • Hay Rack
  • Cat Nail Clippers
  • Qwik-Stop
Food/Hay
I hope that this is everything! If I missed anything, please feel free to let me know so that I can make edits! Please also let me know if this was useful!

That's awesome NR!!!

Thanks @angie901! I noticed that there were no complete lists that I could find, so I decided to make myself one and share with others!

@Greenbean, good point! I'll repost with a shower curtain added once I get another idea to make it worth while.

Cage:
  • Coroplast OR shower curtain
  • 4 inch Cable Ties
Bedding
  • Fleece
  • U Haul pad or towels
  • Binder Clips to hold up fleece (Optional)
Accessories
  • Pigloos/Hideys
  • Water Bottle(s)
  • Cozies
  • Hay Rack or Bent Grid
  • Cat Nail Clippers
  • Qwik-Stop
Food/Hay
  • QUALITY pellets(Oxbow, KMS, Sweet Meadow are all great brands)
  • Grass hay (timothy, orchard, bluegrass, etc) from Oxbow, KMS, Sweet Meadow, or a local farmer is preferable to pet store brands
  • Veggies: for a great list of pig safe veggies, go here:https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ants-list.html

*bumps thread*

Cleaning Supplies:
Litter Scoop
50/50 Vinegar & Water Spray

VIP: Weight Scale / Notebook to document

Outdoor Playpen

Carrier for Vet / Travel / Emergencies

Grooming Supplies

Toys!

Dustpan: most likely a few, for sweeping floor and spot cleaning the cage.

I'll add more once I think of it. :)

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
@HappyHopperz, THANK YOU! I felt like there was more! I will definitely add those in!!

Cage:

• Coroplast OR shower curtain
  • 4 inch Cable Ties
Bedding

• Fleece
  • U Haul pad or towels
  • Binder Clips to hold up fleece (Optional)
Accessories

• Pigloos/Hideys
  • Play Pen for Indoor and Outdoor Play (ALWAYS supervise outdoor time!)
  • Water Bottle(s)
  • Cozies
  • TOYS!
  • Carrier for Vet Visits, Emergencies, and Travel
  • Hay Rack or Bent Grid
Health:

• Cat Nail Clippers
  • Qwik-Stop
  • Grooming Supplies
  • Weight Scale and Note Book for Tracking Weight
Food/Hay

• QUALITY Pellets(Oxbow, KMS, Sweet Meadow are all great brands)
  • Grass Hay (timothy, orchard, bluegrass, etc) from Oxbow, KMS, Sweet Meadow, or a local farmer is preferable to pet store brands
  • Veggies: for a great list of pig safe veggies, go here:https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ants-list.html
Cleaning:

• Litter Scoop
  • 50/50 Water/ Vinegar Spray
  • Dust Pan and Brush OR Hand Vac

For boars: Dawn dish soap and mineral oil for cleaning grease glands and anal sacs.

Status
Not open for further replies.