Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Still Won't Let Me Pet Them?

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
I know all guinea pigs are different when it comes to taming, but both of my boys are tame now, but my girls still won't even let me pet them. Is it easier to tame males than females? Last night, we tried to hold our girls, and they acted crazy! We always lure them inside a pigloo, or tunnel, but they still squeal. What should I do? It is really hard to get them out. We have had them for 3 months each. :sad:

We've had majority of our girls since May and June. One of the "older" girls lets me mess with anything in her cage and doesn't run off too much, she is our special needs piggy. Two others are quite tame as far as being handled a lot during the day. But they will not let us mess with them inside the cage! lol Now our newest two pigs, one is extremely tame *more so than some of our older girls* and she'll even let us pet her inside her cage. I was amazed when we brought her home lol I have heard it takes A LOT of time for them to come around; just keep feeding them veggies with your hand so they can sniff you and they'll come around soon enough :)

it's only been 3 months! :) give them more time but know that different piggies have different personalities

Only 3 months? I have had my male guinea pig for nearly a year and he is barely use to petting. ;) Some guinea pigs might not get use to it at all.
He is a very brave pig, he just doesn't like being touched much, though I haven't really tried getting him use to petting...

I have had my guinea pigs for 2 months and they sometimes let me pet them, but they ARE rescues and were fostered at the owner's home. When they do let you pet them, reward them! My male is much more tame than my female too, but I'm pretty sure it's just a coincidence.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.