Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Something I need to get off my chest

Blog entry from old forum

theresaj

Cavy Slave
Yes. When we think of what we want in a pet, we want a pet that likes to be loved on, cuddled and played with, a little fuzzy face that cheers us up when we are down and the bond we have with them makes us feel good.

What people don't understand that with some animals such as guinea pigs, or sugar gliders and the like, it takes a lot more time. We are not talking about an animal that has been raised and bred as human companions and helpers for centuries. When you get a sugar glider or any type of more exotic pet, you are not getting this. It's a wild animal that has no concept of being a companion or what we are feeling, it does not understand "No." or "That hurts." It is a scared little animal that is trying to survive.

Yet people go AWW it's so cute and get one, and then wanna dump it when they realize they are not getting an animal like a dog, that has been bred and raised by humans for centuries. People need to understand that bonding with these animals takes sometimes months to come around to us. It takes time, patience and true commitment.

Do people dump on their babies when they can't understand no or say Mommy I'm hungry or Mommy I don't feel good? Then why should we dump on a little animal just because of what it can't understand, and has not the capacity to understand or communicate to us?

I am with you all the way 100 percent.

Mmm when I took my boys to the vets I was sad to hear that I am the only guinea pig owner the vet sees that actually cares. Most of the people who bring their piggies to my vet bring them in a state that is so bad the vet can hardly do anything because they've been so neglected.

Sometimes I wished my piggies gave me more love, for all the wonderful veggies and hard work I do to give them a good life. Sigh.

i know, its soo awful to hear about this and to think most of the time poor little piggies won't even have a chance once they have been dumped :( honestly i don't know how anyone could dump any sort of animal! (there are other ways even if you are desprate-ie give it to a GOOD home)
i love my chichi sooo much and i feel he really recognises me and luvs me! :) :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.