Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescue people help me

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
I have had my little pig for 6 weeks. She has been on antibotics for 4 weeks. Baytril that gave her diarrhea then Gentocin by injection. She is still neezing. I have taken her to the vet twice. Can pigs get allergies? When do you give up trying to get them better? Shes is healthy except for this sneeze. She has been in quarentine this whole time. Its very hard on me. She just dosen't get rid of her illness. I hate giving her the shots. She jumps and squeels. Sometimes it takes me half and hour to give her a shot.I just don't know what to do. :sorry:

I know that this is difficult for you, but you are doing the best for her that you can. Even though the shots are difficult to give and difficult on your heart, you are doing the right thing. Just hang in there. I have cried when I had to give a sick pet another shot or sub q's because of their crying. But it won't last forever and you will be glad that you "stayed the course" for her sake. Just hang on.

One of my boys sneezes from the hay dust, but not frequently or continuously. What type of bedding do you use? What type of hay? Is it possible that it is one of those things? Even if you think so, keep up the ABs. Just hug her and kiss her and snuggle her and...well, you know what to do. Please, just hang on.

Allergies are pretty rare. Did the vet do a culture?

Try bactrim or doxy. But use a probiotic too.

Oral ABs are better than shots. Repeated shots can cause issues.

Rabbits, some animals don't tolerate oral ABs. Your only option then is to give shots.

I use fleece

Allergies are pretty rare. Did the vet do a culture?

Try bactrim or doxy. But use a probiotic too.

Oral ABs are better than shots. Repeated shots can cause issues.
Yes. He said it was just bacteria, No fungus.

Did the culture tell him what type of antibiotics this bacteria would be best treated with? It may need another type of antibiotic.

Rabbits, some animals don't tolerate oral ABs. Your only option then is to give shots.

It would be almost impossible to have a guinea pig that would not tolerate any oral antibiotics, considering how different many of them are and how they work.

I talked to the vet. He is going to give me injectable baytril and injectable antihistime. He said that if that dosen't do it the bone may be infected and there isn't tons that you can do. He said that 4 weeks should have taken care of any straight infection.

It just breaks my heart.This poor little rescue. Why didn't those people take care of her.

I'm really confused -- wasn't she on Baytril before and it didn't make a difference?

It made a difference it just gave her diahrrhea

I just looked it up on my vets petportal website. You can check your records and meds etc online. We started antibotics on Sept. 25th.
Her med history.
Gentocin 50 mg/ml Oct 17
Baytril 10mg/ml (grape) Sept 25
Gentamicin Oph Solu 5ml Sept 25

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.