Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rants & Raves

GummiB3ar

Cavy Slave
Lets blow off some steam. I think everyone needs a place to rant and rave every now and then. Be it whatever it may.

I will start.

I hate how uneducated pet-stores really are. You would think they would take the time to do a little research on the animals they have in the store and the proper care for them, or some research on the products they sell. I mean the cages are often too little, they have the wrong type of items in them. There diets are not regulated right, and worst of all most don't have the medical records to go with their animals. I know this isn't all pet-store, but is not the minority.

Another thing I wish pet-stores would do is have any animal they sell be already neutered or spayed, and any animal they sell should come with a basic care pamphlet that tells you about the animal and how to care and other info. They could charge a little more for the animals I would be happy to pay more for an animal that I know was properly cared for, and fixed so that I know I wont be creating more of problem by having unexpected babies I can not care for or something. but in the end they are in it for the money.

Ok I think I have gone on long enough. Your turn!

What really bothers me is uneducated people who don't care to learn the correct information, or even ignore it. My best friends neighbour has a beautiful abby guinea pig. She has her in a pet store cage, with shavings and probably inappropriate food. After telling her all the wonderful things she can do for her pig, she just replied with "Patches is fine". Or people make comments about how I do too much for my guinea pigs. THEY ARE MORE THEN JUST MY PETS! They are my babies, my children. I would do anything in my power for them. I even wanted to get a loft bed so I would have even more room for cage expansions. I wanted to get a futon, so I would have more room. I'm willing to drive an hour or two to find a decent hay farmer to supply my pigs. My parents don't want to drive, and I have yet to convince them, but I will soon be able to drive myself anyways. I spend more money on my pigs then I do on myself, and the only reason I still have a paper route is for them. I take them to the vet and research everything I possibly can.

I can not understand for the life of me how anyone can just give there pet anything and assume it's fine. I had a hamster before, and although he didn't have the best life possible, I like to think he still had a nice life. I spent hundreds of dollars adding to his cage with tubes and expansions. And when he died, I was devastated. Especially because he ended up with some digestive problem on good friday, when everything is closed.

(broken link removed)madelineelaine I'm sorry for your lost. I always wanted to get a hamster with lots of tubes and cages. But you are right people that have a pet and just dont care about making that animals life better is just wrong. I know yea that may be the min. for that animal, but would you want to be closed up in a jail cell with no room to run around and play and slop for food?

I am new to guineas, I don't know everything, and I have been wrong on my thinking before and thanks to this forum I have been educated on the right things to do and not to do and there is still a lot for me to learn. I got no sham in being wrong, but refusing to accept the truth of your wrong and correct your wrong is wrong.

I really don't like it when people say " I'm going to get a Guinea pig from a pet store to save it" because what happens when the pet store goes and gets another guinea pig to replace the one that you bought. Oh and I hate it when people buy pets when they know they aren't going to play with it. Also my neighbors bought a Guinea pig and played with it about two times then never played with it again. It was in a small cage covered in dust and was in a dark room that barely anyone went into and they fed it a carrot everyday. They don't even care about it. We are babysitting it right now and we are making sure to take good care of it.

I especially hate it when people who work at pet stores talk to you like they know everything about guinea pigs and they tell you things ther aren't even true.

Well that's what I'm mad about:)

I hate how people think they know everything about guinea pigs when they actually don't. On Youtube I saw a video where this kid had 8 guinea pigs living in a small hutch with hay as the bedding. Hay can get moldy if not changed frequently, and he had Kaytee Fiesta in their food bowl. He said he can't care for them like I can. That he doesn't have the money to spend a bunch on them. What I would like to know is why would you get EIGHT guinea pigs if you can't afford to appropriately care for them? Oh, and they were living outside, and they had no way of warmth, and he said it was freezing out there. It just makes me so mad. He refused everything I said "I know how to care for them." YEAH RIGHT. He said I was being mean to him, and all I was doing was trying to help his guinea pigs.

And I'm not saying I'm a guinea pig expert, but this forum has helped me a lot, and I know what's wrong and what's right.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.