Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

ramp idea

oreo33

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering if anyone had tryed to put sandpaper on there ramp. I currently have fleece and sometimes my pigs will struggle to get up. I was thinking sandpaper would help wear down there nails, also.Will sand paper be easier to grip? will it hurt there feet? are there any other things i can put on my ramp besides fleece that will be easier to grip?

Kristin

I currenty have sandpaper on my ramp, and it works great! Whenever there nails begin to get longer, I just put the sandpaper on the ramp! (I take it off once and a while so their nails dont get too short)

I'm not shure if there is any medical problems that occur from sandpaper ramps, but I have had mine for years, and my guinea pigs are 6, and nothing has ever happend to them.
I say go for it! :)

I have birds sandpaper under my pigs' food bowls so they step on it when they eat. So far, no foot or health problems, no eating paper, everything looks fine and I believe it works on keeping their nails short.

I would think sandpaper could cause sores on their feet if they used the ramp a lot. I don't think mine would use the ramp enough but I use polyester blankets. It makes good grip and is cheap to just pull off and replace with a new strip.

Hey, great idea with the sandpaper. Personally, I've found shelf-liner works very well. I just tape it to the top of the ramp and replace when dirty.

i use a towel. I pinned/taped it so it doesnt fall, and i have bent cubes/grids underneath so I guess that helps them get up.

How about having it less steep?

Sandpaper can cause sores in the feet and unnesesary rubbing of the foot pads.

Sandpaper sounds like a very bad idea. could cause damage to thier delicate feet.

You could use a piece of carpet. Works great.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.