Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Questions about Placenta, etc.

jamielk92

Cavy Slave
One of my girls finally had her babies! I woke up this morning around 9 (it is now almost 12) and there they were! I have just a few questions..
There are 3 babies and they all look healthy, appearance & they're running around just fine and everything. However, there are only 2 placenta(s?) in the cage. I know they are supposed to eat them because of predators, but is there any other reason they need to eat them or should I remove them from the cage? Also, how do I know if the third placenta came out and was eaten or is there any chance it didn't come out and I should be worried?
The mommy seems just fine except for some sneezes every now and then.

I don't have too much experience with birth but I would think if it has been 3 hours and mama pig hasn't eaten them yet you should probably just remove them before they start to smell.

Please help :( Is this normal? (I removed the placentas a little while after I posted.) But just a few minutes ago she came out of the house she was in with the babies and she had some stringy-like blood coming out along with a tiny piece of I'm not sure what..it was very small, about have the size of a penny, and bloody. She seems to be having little spottings of blood. There was some under the house where she was and in a few other spots where she was.

Should I be worried or is this normal? She's acting completely fine, running/walking around and eating and drinking.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.