Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about baytril dosage

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
Poppy saw the vet last week as she has a hard lump near one of her nipples and fluid with blood is coming out of the nipple. She was put on baytril and the lump has gone down quite a bit but she still has blood and fluid so the vet said to keep her on baytril another week. The amount of baytril I was told to give is 0.15ml twice daily, however I found a old bottle of Hazels baytril and the dosage on that was 0.3 twice daily and she was a much lighter pig. I'm wondering if they made a mistake with the dosage on Poppys. She weighs 1160g.

What's the concentration of Baytril?

Just checked and its 2.5%

Did the vet say what the lump was? If it's an abscess, you need to be flushing it. Due to the location, it may be a cyst or non cancerous /mammary tumor. Baytril won't really help either alone. It doesn't sound like it is just an infection. Unless another pig bit her there?

Its hormonal. She's mounting the other pigs. The vet said it may have become enlarged due to her cycle and to see if it goes down. If it doesn't go down any after a week the vet advised that she should be spayed.

If it's hormonal, why the antibiotics?

Here is a link you can check about the Baytril

Guinea Lynx :: Antibiotics
That link gives the dosage in mg. I need it to be in ml, but thanks anyway.

Jennicat I think the vet thought there was infection as well because of the blood. The lump has actually gone smaller since she started the course of baytril.

That link gives the dosage in mg. I need it to be in ml, but thanks anyway.

Jennicat I think the vet thought there was infection as well because of the blood. The lump has actually gone smaller since she started the course of baytril.

Ahh sorry I did not specify. You can try the links on that page that talk about Calculating Doses and such and it talks about how to get that.

Guinea Lynx :: Calculating Doses

I've used Baytril several times and it was always 1.5 cc's.

That calculator is saying 7.25 mg twice daily. Can anyone please tell me what that is in ml or cc (both the same thing)? I wish I'd noticed the difference in dosages straight away and I would have just rung the vet but I feel a bit silly now after she's been on it a week.

Hi there! I haven't used baytril - my vet always gives us bactrim (septra) - but from what I've seen about baytril I think there is a range to the dosage you can get - perhaps that's why one pig got more than the other?

I think you should post your question on guinealynx - they are really good there and are very helpful and well informed on meds.

Geez sorry, I realized last night that I forgot to tell you it was 1.5 cc's-twice a day.

1.5CCs is WAY too high for any medication I can think of. That's an entire syringe and 1/2 of of medication.

Howie did you mean 0.15cc because thats the dose Poppy is on?

Hello,

My little fella Marley weighs approx 1170g. Pretty much the same as your guy. He is always given Baytril 2.5%, 0.2mg BD (twice daily).

Molly weighs approx 1050g and she too had 0.2g BD. However they were both for different things.

I'm sure your vet knows what they are dosing, it could be that they are under dosing just to be sure.

If it were me I would check the links above and if you still aren't sure post a thread on Guinealynx.

If you feel that changes to the dose need to be made, you must ensure you contact the vet to ensure he is happy. He may have a deliberate reason that he dosed that amount. If you are concerned about his judgement you could get a second opinion.

xx

For some reason 1.5 sticks out but I could be wrong.........I may have posted the dosage in a thread when Maisie had her URI. Sorry, now I'm doubting myself. I'll see if I can find the vet paperwork.

Good god, I feel like such a arse. The 1.5 cc's stuck out in my head because that was the level of phenobarbitral that I was giving my dog before we switched to pills. (She has seizures.) It was ml that I was giving to the pigs and I'm staring at the syringe now and cannot remember what the heck the dosage had been for Maisey and Teddy nor did I post it in my threads. I will try to locate the vet paperwork and let you know.

Yes, .15ml twice dailey and she was also on bene bac-1 gram twice dailey to make sure her appetite remained healthy. My cavy savy vet said Baytril can be hard on their tummy's and prescribed Bene Bac as well when Maisey and Teddy were on Baytril. Geez, sorry I almost led you astray. I feel really bad.

Thanks for the replies, I will join and post at Guinealynx if no one can advise. What I want to ask is this - Poppy has now finished her course of Baytril and is much better. No blood or fluid anymore but I can feel a small hard lump still next to her nipple. This is much smaller than it was before. Do I need to worry or can I just keep an eye out for any changes? I don't want her spayed unless its necessary.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.