Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puppys in the mall

Just to chime in here, and don't hate me, I'm just trying to explain how "responsible breeders" are recognized in the dog world.

Most responsible breeders will only have 1 to 2 litters MAX in a year, and will wait over a year to a few years passing in between litters. As mentioned, there will be a contract in place that if for some reason the owner needs to give up the pup, the breeder will take it back and either place it or keep it no matter if it's 10 weeks old or 10 years old. They will also ALWAYS be in the owners lives and will do extensive interviewing processes with the potential owners to make sure they are going to good homes. If they place a dog with you, most puppies (ones not pre-selected to potentially be shown, which would be on a co-ownership contract) will be put on contract that they are to be neutered and/or spayed and with a limited AKC registration so IF said buyer stupidly breeds the dog, they CAN NOT be AKC registered to bring more profit. Which is why you will see some puppies that are from AKC lines, but not AKC registered.

Also, most responsible breeders will not shove cute puppies in your face and talk prices. They will tell you to RESEARCH your breed, they will give you referrals, and encourage you to look up their health clearances and pedigrees. If you do not know the the potential health risks, they will make sure you are informed first and foremost of what you are getting yourself into. They will also give you a "reality" check, if you are getting a drooling dog they will tell you the realities of it and show you pictures of drool on their ceiling or better yet, have you come to their place and get drooled on. If you are getting a large breed they will tell you the realities of having a 100+ lb puppy running around your house.

And as Porkchopmaster mentioned, they will show their dogs to make sure they are prime examples of the breed and they will do ALL proper health clearances required for that breed and along with researching the genealogy of their lines to ensure they are using the BEST they can possibly use to FURTHER BETTER THE BREED. Usually this will include x-rays of hips/elbows, eye checks, heart checks by certified cardiologist vets, etc and they will be listed online for potential owners to research. There have been some great advancements in lifespan and minimizing crippling disorders like hip dysplasia in some lines and THAT is what the goal of a responsible breeder is. To make sure their dogs are the best representations of that breed that can be produced and that the puppys will be BETTER then their sire and dam. Any person who is interested in getting into breeding would need to prove them self to that community that they are qualified to breed and they will be taken under wing by a reputable breeder in the community who will mentor them for YEARS before any puppy is ever produced.

Also, many responsible breeders are VERY much involved in the rescuing of said breed and others. There are some breeds that you will hardly ever find a rescue situation because either a breeder or owner has stepped in immediately to take in that dog no matter what the expense is to them (and I have heard of bills getting in upwards of $10,000 easily). They will be a close knit community and very involved in one another's lives as well as their dogs and their dogs offspring.

It's not something that any of them take lightly and are dedicated to what they do, it becomes their lives.

In the dog world, anybody else is a back yard breeder (intentional or not) and/or puppy mill in their eyes and are passionate about stopping them just as much as us because these people are ruining the lines that the breeders worked so hard to improve for the health and longevity of the dog.

Just to chime in here, and don't hate me, I'm just trying to explain how "responsible breeders" are recognized in the dog world.

Most responsible breeders will only have 1 to 2 litters MAX in a year, and will wait over a year to a few years passing in between litters. As mentioned, there will be a contract in place that if for some reason the owner needs to give up the pup, the breeder will take it back and either place it or keep it no matter if it's 10 weeks old or 10 years old. They will also ALWAYS be in the owners lives and will do extensive interviewing processes with the potential owners to make sure they are going to good homes. If they place a dog with you, most puppies (ones not pre-selected to potentially be shown, which would be on a co-ownership contract) will be put on contract that they are to be neutered and/or spayed and with a limited AKC registration so IF said buyer stupidly breeds the dog, they CAN NOT be AKC registered to bring more profit. Which is why you will see some puppies that are from AKC lines, but not AKC registered.

Also, most responsible breeders will not shove cute puppies in your face and talk prices. They will tell you to RESEARCH your breed, they will give you referrals, and encourage you to look up their health clearances and pedigrees. If you do not know the the potential health risks, they will make sure you are informed first and foremost of what you are getting yourself into. They will also give you a "reality" check, if you are getting a drooling dog they will tell you the realities of it and show you pictures of drool on their ceiling or better yet, have you come to their place and get drooled on. If you are getting a large breed they will tell you the realities of having a 100+ lb puppy running around your house.

And as Porkchopmaster mentioned, they will show their dogs to make sure they are prime examples of the breed and they will do ALL proper health clearances required for that breed and along with researching the genealogy of their lines to ensure they are using the BEST they can possibly use to FURTHER BETTER THE BREED. Usually this will include x-rays of hips/elbows, eye checks, heart checks by certified cardiologist vets, etc and they will be listed online for potential owners to research. There have been some great advancements in lifespan and minimizing crippling disorders like hip dysplasia in some lines and THAT is what the goal of a responsible breeder is. To make sure their dogs are the best representations of that breed that can be produced and that the puppys will be BETTER then their sire and dam. Any person who is interested in getting into breeding would need to prove them self to that community that they are qualified to breed and they will be taken under wing by a reputable breeder in the community who will mentor them for YEARS before any puppy is ever produced.

Also, many responsible breeders are VERY much involved in the rescuing of said breed and others. There are some breeds that you will hardly ever find a rescue situation because either a breeder or owner has stepped in immediately to take in that dog no matter what the expense is to them (and I have heard of bills getting in upwards of $10,000 easily). They will be a close knit community and very involved in one another's lives as well as their dogs and their dogs offspring.

It's not something that any of them take lightly and are dedicated to what they do, it becomes their lives.

In the dog world, anybody else is a back yard breeder (intentional or not) and/or puppy mill in their eyes and are passionate about stopping them just as much as us because these people are ruining the lines that the breeders worked so hard to improve for the health and longevity of the dog.

Not all responsible breeders will have 1-2 litters a year.
Few who are dedicated to IMPROVING the breed will work on a few more litters. I don't know why you are dead set on responsible breeders producing only 1 or 2 litters a year.

Because any responsible breeder that I have ever known would never breed that many puppies in a year as they will step up to care for each and every one of them if they were to be returned. 99.9% of them are not returned, but they make that commitment to their dog and to the potential owners for the life of their pup.

I can not fathom a responsible breeder vowing to care and be responsible for 10+ puppies a year if they were to be returned, if it is a breed that produces maybe 1 or 2 puppies in a litter, I would be more inclined to understand. Many dog circles as well agree among them that they would never produce that many puppies/breedings a year. They wait between litters for the health of their dams as well as working on titles for both the sires and dams.

So I just have to respectfully disagree on that matter, but to each their own on the opinion, I'm just providing what I know having been around the dog scene since I was a child, this is what the champion AKC breeders that I've ever known, always abide by.

I know this is a touchy subject, but just trying to provide another view point.

All pet stores get their dogs from puppy mills. No "responsible" breeder would ever sell a dog to a dealer. Disclaimer- there is no such thing as a responsible breeder.

Sorry but yes there is. My mother was a breeder for pugs and puddles, she has now got out of it because of her health. Her animals were 50/50 rescues. They had plenty of running room in out 3 acre yard with an acre enclosed for a pin and divided in half, males one side (Only 2 male puddles and 1 male pug) females in the other(3 female pugs and 3 female puddles), with screen around the females to keep other males from getting to them easy. They are let out every day to run around and play. They get regular check ups, baths and grooming. They had heated shelter for the winter. Feed twice a day, each dog had their own bowl and plenty of water in water troffs that were regularly cleaned about once a week. and kiddy pools to play. They were regularly let in to play and be with the family. Each female was bread ever other in heat period, unless they still had dogs left over. Often when they had not sold all of them they would ask friends and family if they know anyone who was hunting a dog and give or sell them for less to them. I can go on, but I think I have rambled enough. There are good breeders, ones who actually care.

Let me ask something, I see several people on here who post "Is my piggy preggy?". Please do not rant me this is just hypothetical. What are they likely to do if and when their guinea has its piglets? They will love them of course, but they will likely put them up for adoption on here (using guineapigzone) or on crigs list asking for a re-homing fee. By asking for money to "re-home" also can be called selling their guinea, they are in a way a breeder, now they can take that money and have their male/ female guinea fixed. But here is my real though, lets say everyone is a responsible owner, they have all their pets fixed, and never buy from a breeder, do you not think eventually pets will be harder to get? I have just wondered this, and I know that will never happen. But there are responsible breeders.

p.s sorry that last part was really just rambling and random thoughts.... >.> don't judge me. My mind wonders and I never know when its going to return.

No offense GummiB3ar but your mom is not really a very good example of a reputable breeder. She takes care for her dogs the way most people who love their dogs do. But that doesn't make her a reputable breeder.
Please read my post about responsible breeders.

Sorry, GummiB3ar, you mom is NOT a responsible breeder. She's making MUTTS! A puddle is NOT a registered BREED! She is ADDING to to overpopulation! And bred ever other heat period? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? A responsible breeder may breed his bitch ONCE. ONCE. A responsible breeder has titled dogs, whether it's the conformation ring or the hunting field. A responsible breeder has ALL clearances done on their dogs. Eyes, elbows, hips, genetic testing. A responsible breeder typically doesn't breed to his own male- he finds the perfect match to his dog, with titles and clearances ELSEWHERE. A responsible breeder has homes lined up before the puppies are even BORN. They NEVER have dogs left over. And yeah, a responsible breeder cares. They care enough to breed the best to the best without any hope of making a profit. If they don't have homes lined up, THEY DON'T BREED!!!

Man, that makes me mad.

Sorry, GummiB3ar, you mom is NOT a responsible breeder. She's making MUTTS! A puddle is NOT a registered BREED! She is ADDING to to overpopulation! And bred ever other heat period? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? A responsible breeder may breed his bitch ONCE. ONCE. A responsible breeder has titled dogs, whether it's the conformation ring or the hunting field. A responsible breeder has ALL clearances done on their dogs. Eyes, elbows, hips, genetic testing. A responsible breeder typically doesn't breed to his own male- he finds the perfect match to his dog, with titles and clearances ELSEWHERE. A responsible breeder has homes lined up before the puppies are even BORN. They NEVER have dogs left over. And yeah, a responsible breeder cares. They care enough to breed the best to the best without any hope of making a profit. If they don't have homes lined up, THEY DON'T BREED!!!

Man, that makes me mad.

I kept reading poodles! And here I was about to give you a link from AKC to tell you poodles are a registered breed. Then I reread both posts.

@GummiB3ar , your mom was not a responsible breeder. She was creating dogs with more health problems. Pugs themselves can come with enough health problems as it is, if not bred carefully. And mixing it with another breed would just make them even worse. I feel horrible for the dogs she created. You're mother was just another person attempting to make a "designer" breed. Just another person looking out for money. I own a pug, and love pugs dearly. To read that someone is further giving the breed more problems, it actually offends me, a lot.

As mentioned by many people, there is a HUGE difference between loving and caring for your animals (vet visits, food, water, etc) and being a responsible breeder. Just because you love and take care of your animals needs, does NOT make you responsible enough to breed and bring more animal lives into this world. There are so many other factors that need to be considered that most people honestly, just can't comprehend. I know myself personally, I could never get into the genetics researching and medical backgrounds that is needed to produce animals that are BETTER then their parents. And in layman's terms, that is basically the goal of a responsible breeder, to produce offspring that are healthier, have longer lives and are more medically sound then their parents.

If anybody is curious, here is a link to CavySpirit's site on responsible breeders: How to Breed Guinea Pigs

Please note this was NOT written by her, but by another respected member of the community about the very few and rare responsible breeders out there.

I would just like to say I agree with everyone that @(broken link removed)'s mother was not a responsible breeder for multiple reasons.
Also I think people who are reasonable breeders will not just get a male and a female and make them breed but they will check their DNA lines, see what health problems or physical problems their DNA could create for the offspring, as it is not just about looks, breeds or colours but also about what the make-up of their DNA matter is as that is what creates the animals.

(Sorry If I made no sense! It's early in the morning, I just wanted to state that checking the DNA and genetic make-up of the animals is very important, or well I think it is..sorry if I'm completely wrong...I'll blame being 13 :p )

I kept reading poodles! And here I was about to give you a link from AKC to tell you poodles are a registered breed. Then I reread both posts.

Yup, I know Poodles are a registered breed.... :D

The other thing that scares me, is that "Her animals were 50/50 rescues." Did that mean she is breeding her rescues? It's not clear in her statement.

Her rescues where pets that someone inherited or had to get rid of for one reason or another, she has the papers for all the dogs. She never breed (and note all the dogs are fixed now) between breeds, also here male was no kin to the female, she also never keep any off spring, so never any incest. She usually had people lined up for the puppies, but at some times more puppies were born then was wanted or the buyer would back out leaving my mother with puppies. All the animals where akc registered, and I hope you know the amount of info it takes to be akc registered, and how many generations to prove they are pure to be akc. Also Puddles are a breed (broken link removed) so are pugs (broken link removed) I dont know what ya'lls problem are with breeders. Yes I know there are tons of animals up for rescue that need a good home. but with out breeders you would not have the guinea you have now, and before you jump down my throat. Remember you did not go out and catch a wild guinea. Some one, some where allowed theirs to get knocked up and have babies. If you don't like breeders, then don't buy from them, no one is holding you down making you buy from a breeder. I got a solution to the problem for you. Fix your pets, Kill off the off-spring instead of finding them homes or a shelter, or a distributor (pet-store). Never go to a distributor or shelter or breeder for a pet and before long there will not be a ton of animals needing homes. So before you rant judge thy self. Its easy to judge others. But if you allow your guinea to get preg. then you are no better then any other breeder and are contributing to the problem o_O

I think your reaction is a little ridiculous GummiB3ar.
Your mom was not a responsible breeder. Just because her dogs were AKC registered doesn't mean they should be bred. And are you saying she bred dogs that someone gave to her because they couldn't keep them? Her rescues? Those are not rescues.
We're not saying all breeders are irresponsible but the vast majority is, unfortunately that includes your mom. Her dogs were not shown/worked or health tested. She was a backyard breeder even if you deny it. I dare say that most people here don't buy from breeders anyway. We do fix our pets and encourage others to do so. We also encourage adoption over buying. And we definitely don't allow our pigs to get pregnant.
"I got a solution to the problem for you. Fix your pets, Kill off the off-spring instead of finding them homes or a shelter, or a distributor (pet-store)."
^^^That is a serious overreaction.
Relax.

Her rescues where pets that someone inherited or had to get rid of for one reason or another, she has the papers for all the dogs. She never breed (and note all the dogs are fixed now) between breeds, also here male was no kin to the female, she also never keep any off spring, so never any incest. She usually had people lined up for the puppies, but at some times more puppies were born then was wanted or the buyer would back out leaving my mother with puppies. All the animals where akc registered, and I hope you know the amount of info it takes to be akc registered, and how many generations to prove they are pure to be akc. Also Puddles are a breed (broken link removed) so are pugs (broken link removed) I dont know what ya'lls problem are with breeders. Yes I know there are tons of animals up for rescue that need a good home. but with out breeders you would not have the guinea you have now, and before you jump down my throat. Remember you did not go out and catch a wild guinea. Some one, some where allowed theirs to get knocked up and have babies. If you don't like breeders, then don't buy from them, no one is holding you down making you buy from a breeder. I got a solution to the problem for you. Fix your pets, Kill off the off-spring instead of finding them homes or a shelter, or a distributor (pet-store). Never go to a distributor or shelter or breeder for a pet and before long there will not be a ton of animals needing homes. So before you rant judge thy self. Its easy to judge others. But if you allow your guinea to get preg. then you are no better then any other breeder and are contributing to the problem o_O

Puddles are not a recognized breed by AKC.
Just because the breeds used to make the "puddles" are recognized, doesn't make puddles a recognized breed. Since it is not a recognized breed, it is, in fact, is a mutt. Anything not recognized by AKC is, in fact, a mutt.
FYI: my guinea pigs will never become pregnant because I have successfully sexed them.

Sorry but yes there is. My mother was a breeder for pugs and puddles, she has now got out of it because of her health. Her animals were 50/50 rescues. They had plenty of running room in out 3 acre yard with an acre enclosed for a pin and divided in half, males one side (Only 2 male puddles and 1 male pug) females in the other(3 female pugs and 3 female puddles), with screen around the females to keep other males from getting to them easy. They are let out every day to run around and play. They get regular check ups, baths and grooming. They had heated shelter for the winter. Feed twice a day, each dog had their own bowl and plenty of water in water troffs that were regularly cleaned about once a week. and kiddy pools to play. They were regularly let in to play and be with the family. Each female was bread ever other in heat period, unless they still had dogs left over. Often when they had not sold all of them they would ask friends and family if they know anyone who was hunting a dog and give or sell them for less to them. I can go on, but I think I have rambled enough. There are good breeders, ones who actually care.

Let me ask something, I see several people on here who post "Is my piggy preggy?". Please do not rant me this is just hypothetical. What are they likely to do if and when their guinea has its piglets? They will love them of course, but they will likely put them up for adoption on here (using guineapigzone) or on crigs list asking for a re-homing fee. By asking for money to "re-home" also can be called selling their guinea, they are in a way a breeder, now they can take that money and have their male/ female guinea fixed. But here is my real though, lets say everyone is a responsible owner, they have all their pets fixed, and never buy from a breeder, do you not think eventually pets will be harder to get? I have just wondered this, and I know that will never happen. But there are responsible breeders.

p.s sorry that last part was really just rambling and random thoughts.... >.> don't judge me. My mind wonders and I never know when its going to return.

@GummiB3ar , your mom was not a responsible breeder. She was creating dogs with more health problems. Pugs themselves can come with enough health problems as it is, if not bred carefully. And mixing it with another breed would just make them even worse. I feel horrible for the dogs she created. You're mother was just another person attempting to make a "designer" breed. Just another person looking out for money. I own a pug, and love pugs dearly. To read that someone is further giving the breed more problems, it actually offends me, a lot.

Puddles are not a recognized breed by AKC.
Just because the breeds used to make the "puddles" are recognized, doesn't make puddles a recognized breed. Since it is not a recognized breed, it is, in fact, is a mutt. Anything not recognized by AKC is, in fact, a mutt.
FYI: my guinea pigs will never become pregnant because I have successfully sexed them.

Can someone please tell me what a "Puddle" is. I know a "Puggle" is a Pug/beagle. Is a "puddle" a pug/poodle? If so I'd like to see a picture it just sounds crazy to me.

Okay first of all, a "Puddle" is NOT a poodle or a pug. I don't know if that is just a typo, but you're either talking about a pool of water on the ground or a designer breed and designer breeds are NOT recognized by the AKC and most absolutely will not condone the breeding of designer breeds as the research and background is not there for them. If you are talking about the combining of a poodle and a pug, then you have a mutt plain and simple and because it comes from two recognized breeds, that does NOT make it not a mutt. Pardon my double negatives. Not one responsible breeder would EVER give their puppy over to another to breed a mutt, which is what a designer dog is. There is too many factors of just ONE breed of dog to ever even think of combining two breeds in a responsible way.

Secondly, MOST of us on here don't buy from pet stores (and if they did, they came here to learn better), we don't buy from breeders and we go to rescue a helpless piggie in need to try to make up for someone else's irresponsible behaviors. We can't fix stupidity so unfortunately, there will always be an over abundance of helpless animals but we can try to do our part to make life a little better for a piggie in need. If I had room for horses, I would do the same. If I wasn't getting a service dog for my son, I would look into rescuing dogs and if my youngest wasn't allergic to cats, I would try to help there as well. Many of us don't believe in the killing of animals just because of a human being irresponsible so we try to do what we can to help clean up the mess others have made.

Most of us also came here to learn from each other the responsible way to care for their guinea pig. Proper sexing is one of THE most talked about topics along with caging. Many of the "Uh oh, my piggie is prego" topics come about because the guinea pig they RESCUED was ALREADY pregnant. They didn't purposely get their piggie pregnant and if they mis-sexed their pigs, then that is the other percentage usually. Even vets can mis-sex a pig so it is possible and unfortunately happens. They are not as easy to sex as say a horse or dog and since the babies can get the mother pregnant from 3 weeks on and the mother can get pregnant immediately, accidents DO happen unfortunately.

Since this is an anti-piggie breeding site,you will not find many people here contributing to the problem willingly. They do their best to clean up the mess they were handed, or chose to take on.

My boys, personally, will NEVER have a chance to get another piggy preggo, I will take care of them until they pass to the Rainbow Bridge and THAT is what I am doing to help the problem and not contribute to it. From the time I have spent here, I can say without a doubt, many others feel the same about their pigs.

Lastly, I wasn't going to be the one to point out about your mother as that alone would be a touchy subject, but yes, she was a back yard breeder. There are some that are horrible, provide horrible living conditions and could care less about their animals. And some that are as good as a BYB can get, take care of their animals, provide proper medical care and love and care for the animals and ensure they go to proper homes. Your mother was obviously the latter, which is great that she went to such great lengths to take care of the animals, but that does not mean she was "responsible" in the eyes of breeders. But and this is a big BUT, she was breeding designer dogs which in and of itself makes her irresponsible. IF, without properly knowing everything of course, she bred Pugs alone, then yes, she may as well have been but knowing that she bred "Puddles" as you call them, that is what makes her a backyard breeder.

To truly be a "responsible" breeder, it is like earning a title almost; and you have to prove, re-prove and prove yourself time and time again with the strictest of standards and it's a very small club that can really be recognized as providing that level of responsibility as breeders.

Can someone please tell me what a "Puddle" is. I know a "Puggle" is a Pug/beagle. Is a "puddle" a pug/poodle? If so I'd like to see a picture it just sounds crazy to me.

Puddle is yet another fancy, designer name for mutt. It is a cross between a pug and a poodle.

Poodles are recognized by AKC, Non-Sporting (Standard and Miniature) and Toy (Toy) Groups; AKC recognized in 1887., also recognized by CKC, FCI, AKC, UKC, KCGB, CKC, ANKC, NKC, NZKC, CCR, APRI, ACR, DRA, and NAPR CKC = Continental Kennel Club
FCI = Fédération Cynologique Internationale
AKC = American Kennel Club
UKC = United Kennel Club
KCGB = Kennel Club of Great Britain
CKC = Canadian Kennel Club
ANKC = Australian National Kennel Club
NKC = National Kennel Club
PCA = Poodle Club of America
PCC = Poodle Club of Canada
NZKC = New Zealand Kennel Club
CCR = Canadian Canine Registry
APRI = American Pet Registry Inc.
ACR = American Canine Registry

DRA = Dog Registry of America, Inc.
NAPR = North American Purebred Registry, Inc

Damn I make a typo and ya'll going fing nuts trying to read to deep into something o_O get a life seriously I said over and over no cross breeding I never said pugapoo or puggle or poogla or what ever o_O if yall click the links in the last post you would of seen what I was talking about.....

Last edited:
Poodles are recognized by AKC, Non-Sporting (Standard and Miniature) and Toy (Toy) Groups; AKC recognized in 1887., also recognized by CKC, FCI, AKC, UKC, KCGB, CKC, ANKC, NKC, NZKC, CCR, APRI, ACR, DRA, and NAPR CKC = Continental Kennel Club
FCI = Fédération Cynologique Internationale
AKC = American Kennel Club
UKC = United Kennel Club
KCGB = Kennel Club of Great Britain
CKC = Canadian Kennel Club
ANKC = Australian National Kennel Club
NKC = National Kennel Club
PCA = Poodle Club of America
PCC = Poodle Club of Canada
NZKC = New Zealand Kennel Club
CCR = Canadian Canine Registry
APRI = American Pet Registry Inc.
ACR = American Canine Registry

DRA = Dog Registry of America, Inc.
NAPR = North American Purebred Registry, Inc

Damn I make a typo and ya'll going fing nuts trying to read to deep into something o_O get a life seriously I said over and over no cross breeding I never said pugapoo or puggle or poogla or what ever o_O if yall click the links in the last post you would of seen what I was talking about.....

Go back and reread all your posts and ours. You typed puddle several time. I never once read anything about your mom not cross breeding these dogs. But still, the fact that she breeds her dogs every other heat season doesn't make her a responsible breeder.

She never breed (and note all the dogs are fixed now) between breeds

I re-read my post, AND THERE IT IS "She NEVER breeds between breeds. yep there it is.

Yes I admit I miss spelled poodle and did not realize it till just now O_O I AM HUMAN I MAKE TYPOS O_O

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.