Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Poop problem

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
He might have dirrehea...

Take him back to the vet. Pigs don't usually have "colds" if I'm correct. Is your vet an exotic vet?

Did the vet give you ABs to treat his URI? They don't get colds. They get upper respiratory infection, which can lead to pneumonia.

If he is on Baytril, he may need a probiotic.

What are you feeding him? Are you weighing him?

Take some poop from a healthy pig and mix it in a mash with some water and feed it to him. It's called "poop soup", it acts as a probiotic and it will help to restore his normal gut flora.

That does make sense only because pigs naturally eat other pigs poos (Or their own for that matter) and it can only really help them not hurt them.

One of my pigs had poop like that recently, but it was a result of him being on Baytril.
It took about 1 week for his poops to get back to normal. I fed him poops from my healthy pigs, as Ly&Pigs suggested, this is the best thing, but obviously not an option for you. You could buy acidophalus capsules from a drugstore and open the capsules up and give him a little bit in water twice a day. When my pig was sick, I also fed him 25 mg of vitamin C per day, also by syringe.

Also, the fruit is good but also might be contributing to his pooping problems. Maybe just stick to the veggies until his poops are back to normal. Remember to make feeding changes gradual, that can affect their poops too.

Pigs don't get colds, as someone else has pointed out, they get URIs. If your vet said your pig had a 'cold', I'd say get another vet...

If you weigh him daily when he's sick, that will also help, I hope you have a good scale.

Where is Sonoma? Near Inland Empire?

If his poops are abnormal, he may have gas/bloat or picked up an internal parasite or something. He does need to see a vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.