Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Places to buy a fleece liner?

HeartMyPiggies

Cavy Slave
I just recently acquired two male GP's, about 8 months old. I joined GPCs last night, and I love having all this information at my fingertips! I saw in some of the pictures that people have fleece liners in their c&c cages, and I want in on this amazingness :)!

I am no good with a sewing machine, and don't even have one at my disposal. I was wondering if there was a place where I could order one, or have one made for me. I have a 2x4grid c&c cage. I would have to look around but I may possibly be able to find someone to sew a few for me in the area, but I moved here 6 months ago and know very few people in the community.

Also, from what I've read, the uhaul pads break down rather quickly in the washer. Would mattress pads last longer as a liner since they are made to be washed anyway? And does the liner have to be sewn to the fleece? Or can I keep them separate so that I can adjust the layers and other things when need be?

So sorry if these questions seem a little silly, I'm new to all this :p.

You do not have to be an ace with a sewing machine to make liners, I picked up a maybe 10 year old low milage Brother sewing machine for $25 at a thrift store.

I used the uhaul pads, cut two 28x56" and 'quilted' them together, made a pillowcase of fleece and put the uhaul inside, added some stitching to the edges and across the middle to keep the pad in place and stiched up the open end. Too soon to tell but I think that will keep the uhaul from self destructing in the wash.

I use 2 layers of extremely good quality Terry cloth under the fleece. It's made to be washed, and very absorbant.

Your best bet is to look up diaper fabric stores online. There's a new one called Zorb that's supposed to be quite good.

You do not have to be an ace with a sewing machine to make liners, I picked up a maybe 10 year old low milage Brother sewing machine for $25 at a thrift store.

Good find! I'm also on the hunt for a cheap one.. does anyone have opinions on one of those hand-held sewing machine, like this one?
Smartek Mini Rex Cordless Sewing Machine - Walmart.com

Or would it just be better to be on the lookout for a $20 traditional sewing machine? I would only ever use it to sew fleece, cuddle cups, etc.

Thanks!

get a regular machine they are all over the place, thrift shops, yard sales or they are only like $70 new at walmart or k-mart for a brand new one. Def want one can do zig-zag stitch.

To limit aggravation, I recommend just getting a new sewing machine. I had a reconditioned expensive machine, and gave up on it. It never worked right. I went to Wal Mart, spent $139 (not their cheapest one, BTW), and I haven't stopped sewing since. It's so easy to use!

I'm not a huge Ebay fan, but I went on www.Etsy.com to buy a tent for my girls, and the lady even special ordered the fabric I wanted. The sellers are very helpful, and totally willing to customize anything you want. There were cage accessories I hadn't seen before, too.

I can't sew to save my life, so I just clip the fleece over some towels with binder clips. I have two layers of towels that seem to keep smell at bay. Over the fleece I do have Tidy pads in high traffic areas. My guinea pigs mostly pee near their hay, some people's pigs wee a lot in their hidey spaces.

I'm quite impressed with Johann's blizzard fleece. It's held up so well! I scrape the hay out with a metal serving spoon, stretch it over coroplast corners haphazardly...and it lives on for almost a year now. After a washing, it looks almost brand new.

And if you have money to blow: PiggyBedSpreads.com Making Your Guinea Pig's World a Beautiful Place!
(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.