Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Piggy's fur is puffed up???

AshiixRainbow

Cavy Slave
My piggy's fur has never been puffed up and i just saw today that from her front paws up to her head her fur looks a little puffy. She's also been making this weird scratchy squeak noise which i'm not sure is normal but she can stop it when she wants so I don't know but her fur is worrying me. I lost three guinea pigs a little while back and all three of them had puffed up fur. Is this normal for a piggy to have their head fur puffy?

I'm in Pennsylvania so it's pretty cold. The temperature inside is about 70 degrees. And yes I can get a recording of her. She's eating, drinking, and as far as I know from watching and cleaning her cage she's doing alot of peeing and pooing. Also thank you for replying and I will get a recording of her and put it on to show you as soon as I can.

Puffing up can be a sign of pain, but it's mainly a concern if they're also hunched in the corner of the cage and not eating. If she's eating, drinking, and pooping normally I would just keep watching her. Is it cold where you are? One of my boys puffs up when he's cold.

I don't know what the sound is, though. Can you get a recording of it?

[video]https://s1036.photobucket.com/user/ashii-san/media/IMG_2722_zps4060e1c1.mp4.html[/video]
She didn't start making this noise untill after we got back from the vet. She's never made this noise before and it's been three weeks and she's still making the noise. The vet said she was in good health but I don't know if she is sick if she caught it moving her to and from the vet but she's eating, drinking, eatinf her veggies and hay and looking normal except for this noise and her fur looking like it's starting to puff up on her head. It also seems she can control the noise. If I pet her chin she stops completely.

If I'm not mistaken, which I may well be, that sounds like some sort of chattering to me? Judging by the mouth movements also?

It sounds like there is something in her throat or lungs.

I would get her looked at by the vet.

Doesn't really sound like chattering to me honestly. When my boys chatter its a distinct clicking.
This noise kinda reminds me of crackly to me which could mean a URI. I'd probably get her evaluated by another vet just to be safe.

Rainbow has completely stopped making that noise. She's quiet and looking very happy. She's still eating, drinking, and popcorning. Her squeaks seem normal too. No scratching noise.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.