Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Piggie will be okay?

Xw0lfie

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone, I was just wondering my newest addition seems to have a lump by his throat.

Its about maybe in between a cherry-tomato, and grape size. Its just one lump its kind of hard not moveable. I have read guinea lynx about the different lumps. Noticed it yesterday at 12am made the appointment today at 7amish as soon as they were available.

I have also already scheduled an appointment with an exotic vet which is on wednesday at 4 (that's the soonest they can get me in).
The vet was referred to me by Texas Rustlers, vets name is Dr.Effie.

was just wondering will he be okay in the time being? He is eating, drinking, pooping well. Will be monitoring him in the mean time as well.

Regardless he is going to the vet to get it checked out. Thanks for your time

Mine had a lump on his back. It was removed and grew back. However, he seems to be fine with it. Until you see the vet, just continue to keep an eye on him while you watch his eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing. I know its scary to have to wait! If something else does seem odd, take him in immediatly. Also, please update us as to the results after you see the vet. We'll be thinking about him..I hope everything is ok.

If he's eating and drinking okay, I think he'll be fine in the meantime. I've dealt with a number of lumps and bumps from abscesses to cysts and tumors. Depending on the age of the pig, my guess would probably be abscess or cyst, both of which would need to be drained and/or removed (based on the location), but it's definitely treatable. On the jaw like that, my experience has been that it might be an abscess from a bite wound (had that happen several times) and it sounds like you have a very experienced vet to deal with it, either way. Good luck and please do let us know how it goes.

@Skippie what was the lump on your piggies back ?
Thanks for the reassurance :)

@Paula If it helps he is 10 weeks old. Adopted him from a family who "lost interest". About 3 weeks ago did not notice any bumps. He is also in a 3x4 with 2 other males. And from what I have "seen" they have accepted him, allow him to eat, drink, eat hay and lay with him in the piggie house (it has two openings) .

The most I have seen them do is mount him but that all ceased in a few days or so.

Anyway I did take pictures if it helps, sorry if it is hard to see.
Piggie will be okay?Piggie will be okay?Piggie will be okay?Piggie will be okay?

That might be CL, just based on a quick glance. Still treatable, but very contagious. I'd consider separating for the time being. Very cute piggy!

It turned out to be a tumor. Its been two years now since I first found it. It really doesn't seem to bother him and he's a healthy little man! It's hard to see the lump on your pig in the pictures but you sure have a cute pig!

Good luck today at the vet appointment!

It turned out to be a tumor. Its been two years now since I first found it. It really doesn't seem to bother him and he's a healthy little man! It's hard to see the lump on your pig in the pictures but you sure have a cute pig!

Good luck today at the vet appointment!
I see, the lump is not big enough to be protruding out (thank goodness) and he has a lot of hair lol. But thank you I will be leaving in approx 1hr 30min :)

Any news? Your op did have me worried, as when I found one of these on Wibble it turned out to be an abscess. Your description sounds almost identical to Wibble's lump... Really hoping he's ok, he's such a sweet looking little thing.

Hey all! I am back from the vet!

After much touching and examining my piggie, she said he was very healthy other than the lump which of course was why we were there.

Well the Dr. does think it is an abscess, and it was placed I believe a bit lower than where she has usually seen in guinea pigs but treatable.

I loved the vet and the nurse very nice people, did not mind lots of questions and explained in detailed. They do get lots, and lots of piggies with lumps in.

Sundae is scheduled for tomorrow for surgery. Hope it goes well.

She did say 95% of the time removal of the lump it doesn't come back but if it did she would then recommend a culture of it, did note it would be very expensive. (the culture; which is fine if it comes back.)

Anywho the exam was 56 and they gave me an estimate of everything surgery + exam = 230-270. Her nurse assured me everything would be okay, and he went into detail exactly what they were going to do. The Dr informed me Sundae would be under at most for 25 min.

Hi there, that's good news on the piggie! Sounds like a pretty normal price on the surgery, too. One thing I'd suggest to your vet is that it might be Cervical Lymphadentitis. It's not all that common and needs to be treated a little bit more aggressively than a "typical" abscess.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on how the surgery goes!

Hey @Paula thanks for checking in! She actually did mention CL, said it was a possibilty and went on and said it was filled with very nastiness stuff; but nonetheless she said he will be okay.

I guess its a silly question that I forgot to ask, but she did say she could feel his lymp nodes.

Is CL swelling of the actual lymph node or the surroundings of it? She also said it was hard and very moveable then she went on talking about CL and mentioned strep bacteria.

I guess my next question would be should I ask her to culture it? Even if its his first lump? She didn't think it was necessary but this is MY first time dealing with lumps.

Hi there, that's good news on the piggie! Sounds like a pretty normal price on the surgery, too. One thing I'd suggest to your vet is that it might be Cervical Lymphadentitis. It's not all that common and needs to be treated a little bit more aggressively than a "typical" abscess.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on how the surgery goes!

Last edited:
A culture is always a good idea. It can tell you what kind of bacteria is present, so the vet can choose the correct antibiotic.

I will ask her again tomorrow about it, and see if anything changes.

Hello all. I am back and so is Sundae they said he did very well with the surgery.

Yes it was CL. Paula after you saw it I separated him immediately .

She prescribed me two things and I guess there was a miscommunication. I have metacam which is measured out for me , he is to have that for 5 days.
Now here is where the trouble started.........note (I was at work so my S.O had to pick him up)
Well I was supposed to pick up the other medication today at walgreens after I got off of work. But walgreens had NO idea what I was talking about, the clinic I went to was supposed to call in a prescription but the pharmacist said she received no call.
My vet was already closed so now I have to wait till tomorrow.

The antibiotic is TMZ which I have to wait till tomorrow until I can get it. I will be sure to voice my displeasure as well, because this should not have happened and I understand things persay places do get busy but someone should have made sure they called Walgreens ARCK I don't know whats done is done.

Anywho does can someone enlighten me what TMZ stand for?
I did ask the culture and she said with the two antibiotics I should be okay.

Sundae is eating and drinking, active. Will keep an eye on him though. He is separated still and is currently in a separate cage with some towels as his bedding just so I can notice anything odd. He has peed no poop yet.

Its a view from under, under and then a side view didn't want to mess with him too much.

Piggie will be okay?Piggie will be okay?Piggie will be okay?

Aw, the best of luck to you two. Your vet was amazingly quick off the mark, kudos to them and to you for being a pro-active piggy owner.

TMZ could stand for Trimethoprim sulfisoxazole, it's a pretty powerful antibiotic associated with acne and UTIs. While he's not got the medicine, keep a very close eye on that wound. It'll need keeping spotlessly clean, slightest sign of pus get him back to the vets.

Good move on the culture as well. I had to get one for Wibble because the pet store responsible for her treatment didn't want to pay for it and thank goodness I did, she was on the wrong antibiotic.

What are you using to clean it?

Cuddles to you both *hug*

Well I called the vet again he advise me not to put anything external on it but a warm wash cloth to wipe lightly. Thanks for brining that I didn't think of it well I did but I didn't think you should touch suture wounds too much.

Aw, the best of luck to you two. Your vet was amazingly quick off the mark, kudos to them and to you for being a pro-active piggy owner.

TMZ could stand for Trimethoprim sulfisoxazole, it's a pretty powerful antibiotic associated with acne and UTIs. While he's not got the medicine, keep a very close eye on that wound. It'll need keeping spotlessly clean, slightest sign of pus get him back to the vets.

Good move on the culture as well. I had to get one for Wibble because the pet store responsible for her treatment didn't want to pay for it and thank goodness I did, she was on the wrong antibiotic.

What are you using to clean it?

Cuddles to you both *hug*

TMZ is trimeth sulfa, the same thing as Bactrim. It's usually well tolerated by guinea pigs.

I am so glad to hear that surgery went well..its so incredibly nerve-wracking to send them into surgery. I have never heard of TMZ..but if it is bactrim, I am familiar with that. Don't be afraid to question your vet if you ever feel unsure! I'm also so very glad you have liked the vet..the mishap with the pharmacy may have a small glitch and hopefully doesn't happen again. I have had issues getting veterinary medications from human pharmacies and there seems to be a lot of confusion. I ended up at a local pharmacy who I discovered had a great reputation of working with vet offices.
I hope he continues to heal well and doesn't pick at the site. By the way, the name Sundae is just too cute!

Oh I am not afraid to question any vet :). No it wasn't a small glitch the receptionist literally forgot , in which I did voice my disappointment in a very controlled manner LOL. But the nurse took care of me and even called me back to confirm what pharmacy he had called and to ensure that it would be ready later that day. The only other issue was finding a pharmacy to crush the medication to the right dosage. Some of them could not/ did not have the right ingredients to do so. But we found one! so waaaahooo.

I hope he continues to heal well too, he hasn't messed with it at all that I have seen he just eats, drinks , poops, pees, sleeps, runs around wheeks, pop corns. He is WONDERFUL at taking medication. He is taking 3 types of medication metacam, only for another 3 days. Doxycycline 2x and Azithromycin once a day.

Thanks originally he was named Truffles but alas Sundae fit better and is a yummy dessert|!

I do have a concern though how long do I separate him for 2 weeks or 4 weeks? Also will this cause a big upset when I put him back with my other boys. (Since I know separating them over and over again makes intros/bonding worse). Note only separated him this one time.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.