Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Opinions on piggie shampoo?

ilovemykisses

Cavy Slave
Okay, I have set up appointments for my new piggies for this Friday. Both are getting a check up and Tyson's also going to be altered.

I want to bathe them tomorrow before I take them in on Friday, though. (I'd hate for the vet to think that I'm responsible for the way they smell and the neglected feet.)

When Kisses passed on, I tossed all of his grooming products in the garbage out of sadness.. and anger, so I'm out to buy some new stuff for these two tomorrow morning.

I seen in another thread that baby shampoo or kitty shampoo is not a good choice. I have baby shampoo on hand, but that's for the kiddies. The shampoo I tossed out was kitty shampoo. If those two are bad choices, what is a good shampoo to use? The other forums I've gone to all list baby shampoo.. but to be honest, I trust this forum alot more.

I also seen someone list horse shampoo as a good choice.. but I've never seen horse shampoo in my life.

Any opinion or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You'd have to go to a store that sells farm supplies or livestock feed for a horse shampoo. I know mane and tail shampoo is often sold for humans but I'm not certain how harsh it is. Gentler than just about any common shampoo sold just for humans but probably still a bit harsher than a good small animal shampoo. The only way for me to find small animal shampoo is to order it online. I usually get Cowboy Magic horse shampoo at Farm and Fleet and it seems to work well. I even use it on myself cause many of the shampoos sold for people give me patches of dried skin if I use it everyday. I cannot tell you that I'm 100% certain horse shampoo is as good as small animal shampoo but I do know most brands are better than using human shampoo or medicated kitten/puppy shampoo. If nothing else just soak them in warm water and rub their dirty spots without using any shampoos.

I use Johnsons baby shapoo and my pigs hair is super soft after thier bath and it cleans them welllol I have had no problem with spots or anything of that sort so i guess its ok :)

There is shampoo made for bunnies that is ok for piggies. I got mine at Petco when I got my very first piggies. I would try to find another store that would sell it, though.

Thanks everyone. Your opinions mean alot to me, being my experience is limited. I haven't seen any farm animal or feed stores around my area. I wish there was so I can get a bale of timothy too.

After reading that kitty shampoo isn't good for piggies, I freaked out thinking that maybe it killed Kisses. =/

I didn't even know you could bathe bunnies. I thought you were to dust them? If a shampoo is safe for bunnies.. it should be mild enough for piggies, right?

I thought about just a simple water soak, but I would love it if I could get a good shampoo. I don't think a water soak will take the smell off of them. They both smell like strong urine.

I'm so upset with the woman that had them before me. She's lucky my husband met her instead. I'd have probably cursed at her.

I bought a bottle of gentle ferret shampoo that works nicely. The best is Bunny Bath by Four Paws, I believe. It comes in a pink bottle.

Gentle kitten shampoo is fine, just make SURE it has no medications in it, such as flea and tick stuff.

Thanks slap_maxwell! I seen lots of ferret shampoo down the hill. I'll ask them about the bunny shampoo too... that sounds great!

Mild shampoo works, but make SURE it's mild.

sorry about kisses :(

Thank you, iLoveDusty :)

I won't be making any of the same mistakes with these two.. that I made with Kisses. If I have any questions on anything, I'm asking people on this forum rather than people that work at the pet/pet supply stores. Being that the people here are piggie lovers and not driven to make a sale.. it just seems safer.

I haven't heard that Kitten shampoo is bad :/ it was recommended to me both here and at guinealynx, I used it on Nismo yesterday, and it seemed very mild, didn't have any sort of medication in it. I also only put it on areas below his neck, nothing near the ears or face. Haven't seen him react in a bad way, hope it was ok

If you can find kitten/puppy shampoo without flea or pest medications it should be ok. The problem is I've never seen a shampoo for either that didn't say something about fleas on it. Then again I also can't find any small animal shampoos such as ferret, rabbit, guinea pig, or anything else. About all that exists here is horse shampoo and there's a feed/farm supply store on every corner. lol

Yea this one definitely was not for fleas or lice. They actually had them separate, the medicated shampoos were in a completely different aisle.

The best is Bunny Bath by Four Paws, I believe. It comes in a pink bottle.

I use that brand, too. It works the best out of the ones I've tried so far!

I use Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo. It seemed to work well (I've only used it once since I got the girls). It smells like baby powder but it rinses clean so your pig won't smell like babies.:D

ilovemykisses said:
I didn't even know you could bathe bunnies. I thought you were to dust them?

I think you're thinking of chinchillas. You can buy special chinchilla dust that they roll in. It's very cute!lol

You can also dust bunnies, but only the grey furry ones that live under furniture!:D

Last edited:
(broken link removed) is what I use. Extra gentle, no medications, and so easy on skin that it doesn't irritate my allergies or their skin.

Did the kitten shampoo have pyrethrins in it? If so, it could possibly have contributed to your kisses death. Kitten shampoos without any added medications or insecticides like pyrethrin are safe to use.

I use Four Paws Bunny Bath.

fourbwabbys said:
I use that brand, too. It works the best out of the ones I've tried so far!
I also use Bunny Bath, I read a while ago it was the one to get

I use Bunny Bath.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.