Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine New Guinea Pig; A Few Questions...

PiggyPassion

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!
A few of you may have seen my topic a while back about getting a cage mate for Arthur. Well, to put this shortly.. it's actually happening! My parents have finally said that I can get another piggy. :tearsofjo
After months of attempting to convince them, they actually gave in. And to think that I thought that this day would never happen... 😌
Anyways, I do have a few questions about quarantining and whatnot, then I'll show you pictures of her.

- Since Arthur has recently been neutered (3 weeks ago, to be exact), I want to be sure that he is good to go before I put them together. How long should I wait for him to have all of the sperm out of him before I put them together?

- How long should I quarantine the new girl before I put them together?

Now for pictures and a description of the new girl! ❤️
Her name is Penelope and she was born on December 31st, 2011 - a New Years Eve girly. I am picking her up this Friday from a friend of mine. I was going to adopt from an actual rescue center, but I don't have my car at the moment and probably won't for about another month or two at least. So because of that, I have to stick nearby. And with just my luck, there is no rescue center within a 25 minute drive. :boggled: But Penelope's a such a cutie anyways!

New Guinea Pig; A Few Questions...

Thank you to those who help me out with my questions - it's a big help!

Four weeks after neuter before being with a female, three weeks quarantine.

Congratulations on the new one -- very cute pig!

She's very cute. Sorry you weren't able to get one from a rescue. Your friend is a breeder?

My vet recommends two or three weeks wait. I see that Cavy Spirit recommends 3 to 4 weeks.

@bpatters - Thank you! =] That helps a TON.

@foggycreekcavy - Thanks! I know, I was pretty bummed about it. My friend is a breeder as well as a vet, yes. She is trying to get some of her pigs to a good, forever home, though, so she can quit breeding. Thank you for your advice, too!

just wanted two let you know she looks just like my little girl,strawberry shortcake :)I she is a sweetie.

oh my god, she looks like a pom-pom ball with eyes and feet! Soooo precious!

I hope you will get any subsequent pigs from a rescue or shelter. Hopefully your friend will stop breeding soon.

@turcoworld - Awww, you're going to have to post some pictures me. I'd love to see the resemblance! :cheerful:

@mommazilla & @Hhbean - Hehehe, I know right? Thank you! I'm literally bouncing off my toes excited for tomorrow! :silly:

@foggycreekcavy I'm not sure if I'll be getting any others until I get my own apartment, as I'm only allowed for two total at the moment. I'm hoping so, too!

Oh my dear goodness! She is absolutely adorable! If you got another one that looks exactly like her, they'd be two pom-poms! :)
I have to agree with @spy9doc .... I would steal her!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.