Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New cage behaviour

MackieDelilah

Cavy Slave
At the weekend I moved my girls from the old cage, which was way too small, to their new C&C cage, which is big enough for them plus another one if I decide to get one. The new cage is completely open top (there is nothing else in my house that can get at them) whereas their old cage was closed on top.

I cannot say for certain but I think that my girls are staying in their hidey places when I'm not there and not really moving around, not even for food and water. When I returned home yesterday they were suddenly out and about, running around and eating and drinking like there's no tomorrow (when I first went in the room, it didn't look like anything had been touched, which is why I think they hadn't eaten anything)

I want them to get used to having a more open top cage but I don't want them to be only confident in coming out when I'm at home.

Did anyone else find difficulties when changing cages and if so, how did you overcome them?

Give them a few days. It is just all new to them and they may be uncomfortable but they will calm down and come out. If you are worried they are not eating then I would weigh them in the morning before breakfast to make sure they are not loosing any weight.

You could also clip fabric along one section of the cage, just something to have overhead to ease the transition. They may feel more comfortable eating if you put the food under that section.

You can also put their hidey's closer to the food area. My little one is still skittish, and she came out long enough to drag a bowl of pellets into her hidey with her! LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.