Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need to separate?

heatherbunnie

Cavy Slave
First a little backstory. I have had Madison and Michigan (both females) for about 14 months now. I adopted Remmy and her daughter Winny about 4 months ago. After quarantining them for 3 weeks, I introduced them in floor time, and it went great, I was so happy. I built a 2x6 for the 4 of them, and they've been pretty good for the most part (Remmy was a little pushy, but nothing too bad). Winny, for the past 3 weeks, has been terrorizing Madison and Michigan. She corners them constantly, and runs at them when they try to eat. I know you're not supposed to separate unless blood is drawn. Tonite I saw her (Winny) biting Madison's ear while she was trying to eat hay. And, about an hour after it happened again. This has been a huge change in Winny, because she used to seem so timid, and now she's the boss.

I am completely aware that I may just be paranoid, and this behavior is normal and ok. I have the means to separate them if it's necessary, which I'm guessing it's not. I guess I just feel bad for M & M, because so many times during the day they're crying out. I'm a bit of a softy with them. Where should I draw the line as to what's normal? Thanks.

I think you should avoid separating them if at all possible. Since Winny has shown a dramatic change in behavior, there are a few possibilities to consider. One is that she might just be going through heat right now, and for some reason it's a particularly bad piggy PMS that she will get over soon enough! (fingers crossed) Another possibility is that she may have a physical ailment that is causing a personality shift, such as ovarian cysts or skin irritation. If the behavior persists, you might want to take her to a vet to be examined. She could also be getting older and more confident, and possibly wants to clearly establish her role as the leader. If so, I would make sure there are enough hidey houses, food bowls, hay racks, and water bottles that she won't feel the need to be overly territorial. And if all else fails and she is causing physical injuries, you might want to try making the cage bigger- either adding on to the bottom floor or making a second level for the other piggies to escape to. Definitely try not to separate unless nothing else works and she is hurting the other piggies.

I hope things get better soon!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.