Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Need help from long hair breed owners!

hannahkovach

Cavy Slave
I have a cream and peach female silkie. She is my first "long hair" pig and I am running into a few issues.

The hair on her back/bum tends to be urinated on (when she backs up into corner), which obviously can result in an array of problems. So I wash her with every other cage cleaning (I don't wan't to dry her skin, not to mention blow dryer trauma!). I set her in a shallow amount of white vinegar for a 5 min soak to neutralize the urine in her fur that drags. Then I wash with J&J original baby soap, rinse, repeat, towel dry, then blow dry on low/warm setting.

In addition, I gave her a haircut. :( Before I washed her one day I trimmed up her "butt hair" that was moist with urine. So now I give her regular "butt cuts" on wash days.

So I'm not sure if I'm really looking for help as much as I am wanting to know I am not alone on this lol. Any tips would be appreciated.

P.S. I have a C&C cage with fleece on triple layer towel. Vacuumed twice a week, changed weekly. ❤️

Stop washing her in vinegar. When washing her, use a mild shampoo without harsh sulfates, no paraffin & silicones. Baby products usually contain paraffin/mineral oil unfortunately. The best shampoo on the market is (broken link removed) , Posh'n'Go for long haired guinea pigs because of the moisturizing virgin olive oil & proteins.

You need to trim her bum often to avoid it matting in the first place. if you don't have scissors especially made for hair/fur, you could get fabric scissors & use them only for that purpose. Or use a good fur trimmer if you have one. And as most long haired guinea pigs dislike being brushed, you need a really gentle brush like a travel sized Tangle teezer, which doesn't pull on the hair or create split ends. (Awesome on humans as well.)

I have three longer haired guinea pigs. One has really thick, long and coarse fur. I trim the hair around her rear and back legs pretty close to the skin. I leave a longer layer over the back end so it doesn't look odd. I just trim the length of that fur so it doesn't drag on the ground. When I do bathe them, I'm just really careful to make sure I dry them completely before putting them back in the cage. I had put the coarse haired one back when her fur was still a bit damp and I was shocked to find that it was still damp the next day. Poor girl must have been really uncomfortable so now I never do that.

You're definitely not alone! I have two long haired ones, and they absolutely hate getting haircuts. My husband has to hold them strongly while I quickly trim up the back end. I hate it :( Breaks my heart seeing them feel they are tortured but it's for a good cause! lol.

I bathe Arthur about once a month, and brush him at least once - usually twice - daily. He actually loves the hair dryer! Puts his nose up in the air and everything. :silly:
Because of the daily brushing, he doesn't get many mats in his fur.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.