Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Need Help Fast Vet Has poisoned my Guinea Pig

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
The vet I saw orally fed him CEPHALEXIN and gave 0.25 ml to him orally.

I always look up all antibiotics given to my pets. And I discovered to my shock and dismay that the antibiotic she prescribed is in fact dangerous to guinea pigs and should never be prescribed.

Please see: Guinea Lynx :: Dangerous Medications

My poor pig is now lethargic, he wont move, will barely eat, and his urine is now a milky white.

I am giving him some Critical Care every hour but i am afraid this is not enough.
I cant get to a Vet until the morning

What else can i do to get him through the night??!!

Wait a minute... You're taking your pig back to the same vet that almost killed it?

Print this out to take to the vet with you - Guinea Lynx :: Dangerous Medications.

Keep giving the critical care and keep him warm, give him a cuddle safe or a hot water bottle if you can. If he's going into shock his body temperature will be dropping, so keep him as warm as you can.

Watch for diarrhea and see this page for help - Guinea Lynx :: Diarrhea.

Im taking him to another vet. Ive arranged with the Australian Vetrinay Association to file a complaint and have her suspended or her license taken away.

Kept him warm, ciritical care throughout the night, hes still not eating. Will let you know what the new vet says.

Fluffball - sending best wishes your way for your piggie.

How is your pig now?

I am sooo sorry to hear about this! Its so hard to find a good vet that you can truly trust and I am so glad that you took action against the vet so this hopefully wont happen to anyone else. Please keep us informed on how your piggie is doing!

I am so glad that you took action against the vet so this hopefully does not happen again. It's so difficult to find a good vet that you can trust. Please keep us informed on how your little one is doing.

Fluffball- do you have an update on your pig?

I have heard that guinea pigs respond poorly to antibiotics, is that true?

I was also curious as to why the vet gave the guinea pig them in the first place? was there something wrong with the guinea pig? or was it just a check up? Just curious!

thank you,
kelly

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.