Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Forages Nasturtium ?

plopper

Cavy Slave
OK so I have established the nasturtium that grows in abundance in our yard Is edible by us and the pigguns and they thoroughly enjoy It but I am unaware of Its properties and thus do not know what constitutes a safe amount to feed and how often they should enjoy It per week

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They have a fair amount of vitamin C. The leaves contain more C than the flowers. Calcium seems low to midrange. Oxalic acid levels low to none. Only flowers and leaves should be fed. I'd say a few leaves 2-3 times per week. Start slow as with any forage though as to not upset the tummy and gradually increase.

plopper

Cavy Slave
Thankyou for that, I'm pleased to know that they do infact contain goodness especially as they are free and the pigs like them:)

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
Try your flowers first please. I always thought those were spicy as a kid.
If the petals are spicy, you might want to reconsider giving them to your guineas.
Also, I found that pesticide free rose petals were safe and often had a sweeter taste.

plopper

Cavy Slave
I've actually only been giving the leaves since my boys are fuss pots and won't even eat dandelion flowers although they like the leaves. None of my pigs really have a sweet tooth the sweetest thing they get that they like is occasionally apple

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If the flowers are no spicier than a radish, they will be fine to feed. Some pigs adore radishes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.