Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior My guinea pig upper teeth broken, and it just sit there lifeless hours and hours

Thienvu220801

Cavy Slave
Help me, my guinea pig upper front teeth just got broken yesterday, and all it do is sitting in 1 place for hours and hours, i have feed it using the syringe but it didnt seem to swallow all of it, i dont know what to do?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Your pig needs to see an exotics vet who can take a look at his mouth and fix the issue. Depending on how bad it is, it could be addressed there (ex - my pig had a broken tooth so the vet numbed the area and removed the tooth) or the pig may need to go under anesthesia.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @4boipigs.

Breaking a tooth is not generally a problem for guinea pigs. They regrow quickly, and except for some difficulty picking up food, they usually manage on their own. And they usually can eat fine even if fed with a syringe.

The fact that your pig isn't doing that indicates that something more is wrong. His jaw may be broken or dislocated, and he may be in a lot of pain. He needs to see a good exotic vet as soon as possible for an x-ray and diagnosis, along with (probably) some pain medication.

Good luck to you and him. Let us know how he gets along.

Thienvu220801

Cavy Slave
Ditto @4boipigs.

Breaking a tooth is not generally a problem for guinea pigs. They regrow quickly, and except for some difficulty picking up food, they usually manage on their own. And they usually can eat fine even if fed with a syringe.

The fact that your pig isn't doing that indicates that something more is wrong. His jaw may be broken or dislocated, and he may be in a lot of pain. He needs to see a good exotic vet as soon as possible for an x-ray and diagnosis, along with (probably) some pain medication.

Good luck to you and him. Let us know how he gets along.

Im sorry, i tried my best, he died

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost him. It was likely more than just broken teeth, not that it will make you feel better. Rest in peace, little one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.