Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Monthly costs of 2 GPs?

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
I'm not going to lie, my piggies cost more than the dogs, between hay, pellets, fresh veggies, and bedding, it's at least $70/ month. I buy veggies every week for about $10. I need bedding only for the kitchen, so i buy a new bag once a moth. My two boys have gone through most of 25lbs of KM timothy hay in about 3 month, so i need more already.

Once you find a good exotics vet, you are going to notice a price increase from what you are used to with a dog or cat. The vet i take my dogs to will charge me $40 for an annual check with all four dogs. I took the piggy in when she was sick and payed $55 just for the visit. Altogether I payed $180, so you might want to start putting money aside.

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
I think that if you go off other kinds of bedding and switch to fleece bedding, that will be more money-saving as well as time-saving in the long run. Whenever I change my piggie's cage, I just take everything out, do one more vac-over with the handvac, and then strip all the fleece bedding out from the velcro-ed sides. Then just change the litterbox - if you have one as well - because I find that keeping everything that is their food, hay, and water bottle in the kitchen area is good for cleanup. Then just lay down a new layer of fleece and you're done.

You can also try growing your own veggies in a pot or the garden if you have one. That would save some people quite a bit of money for awhile, especially for bell peppers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.