Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Making the switch

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Today after I pick my daughter up from school we are switching the cage over to fleece. I am so excited. We decided to go with the UHaul pad underneath. We also got them new wood hideys and are going to take out the pigloos. I am anxious to see their reaction to their new bedding and homes. :tearsofjo

Wish us luck!:D

Good luck. Let us know how you and your piggies like the fleece. I think it's great and would love to know who came up with the idea.

I made several fleece bedspreads because I can't get to the laudromat right away. I just washed everything for the first time last night, and I was amazed at how well everything washed up! The doubled Uhaul pads dried much quicker than I thought they would, too. I have to say, I'm very pleased. Now I want to make some triple thick pads for the kitchen area. Changing the Carefresh in there is just too messy. I really think you'll like it.

Ok Dumb question. One layer of fleece or 2?

One layer of fleece, since you want the liquid to be pulled down by the uhaul underneath.

It's really a matter of preference. When I first started using it, I put down one layer of U-haul pad and one layer of fleece and that worked okay, but I wanted to sew it all together so I made up a pad of 2 layers of U-haul pad sandwiched in between 2 layers of fleece (2 different prints) so I could flip it over halfway through the week and have an almost clean cage and it seems to be working well. Just experiment and see what works for you.

stuped question here . what is a u-haul pad?

A U-haul pad is a sort of a blanket sold by U-Haul to cover furniture while moving. They are made from recycled blue jeans and surprisingly soft and fairly inexpensive. Someone discovered they make good pads for under fleece. The only problem is they shrink in the wash and don't hold up very well. You can get them from larger U-haul stores or even online, I believe.

Well I did two layer of fleece and two of Uhaul pad. I did not fit the fleece right so it will have to come out and be fitted better. Oh well, nice 1st try I guess lol :D

Did you put the 2 u-haul pads in between the 2 layers of fleece?

Underneath. No big wet spots yet so I assume its working. lol

So you mean you have 2 layers of fleece together and 2 pads underneath? If so, you might want to rearrange it so the 2 layers of fleece are not together. The fleece will wick better if there is something absorbent directly under it (not more fleece).

Thanks @(broken link removed) . So it has been almost 24 hours since we made the switch, I just want to say so far I love it. I can see how much they poop (POOP FACTORY'S!) and it so far is easy to go in and sweep up for 5 min (already done 3x since making the switch)). I think the cage is going to be way more sanitary for my girls. SO YAY! SO far very happy with this.

i'm going to make the switch today! does it have to be premade fleece blankets or can i just go to like walmart or joann fabrics and get it cut by the yard?

Ashleyshamer, most people just buy it by the yard from a fabric store and that way you can get whatever amount you need. If you have a fleece blanket already, you could certainly use it to try it out, but certainly don't buy a fleece blanket for the purpose. Just make sure if you are using new fleece, you wash and dry it at least 3 times before using.

do i have to wash it first? i would have to go the laundry mat and i dont normally do that for another couple days.

Yes, it really does need to be washed to make it wick away the moisture. Otherwise the liquid will just bead up and sit on top of it. Make sure not to use any fabric softener or dryer sheets. Also make sure you have something absorbent under it in the cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.