Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Lump under chin? What is it?

Pandora4co

Cavy Slave
Hi!

I just noticed a rather large lump? firm bump? thick area?I'm not sure how to describe it right under my one boy's chin on his under neck area.

He's acting normally, eating fine, and it doesn't seem to bother him at all when I touch or poke at it. I'm wondering if it's an abcess, but the bump seems to be very deep not at the surface of the skin, and there is no bald spot or hair loss like I see in pics of abcesses.

Do some guinea pigs just have thicker necks? This pig is my baby at just one year old. My older two boys, both 3yrs, do not have this at their neck. I was wondering if it's just something some boars get as they mature.

I would take him to a vet but I really cannot afford to spend $50 if there is nothing wrong with him. I'm looking for advice.

I would take him in, just in case. You don't want it to get bigger and obstruct breathing/ become uncomfortable for him.

I'm taking him in tomorrow morning, first thing. The more I keep looking at the bump, the more it looks like it's mostly on one side of his neck.

And this evening when all my boys are usually running around, Peanut stayed in his pigloo, just laying on his side. He was normal this morning, but now I just feel something is "off" about him. He's still eating and drinking, but he's mostly just laying down in a pigloo, which is not like him.

I am glad you are taking him in. :) Keep us posted!

Peanut has/had? and abcess. The vet had to cut his neck open and drain it. :weepy:

We are home with antibiotics and I had to seperate all my boys. I had to divide their 8x2 into 3 sections two 2x3's for each healthy boy, and a 2x2 for Peanut who is recovering now. Unfortunatly I cannot put my two healthy boys together as for whatever reason, they fight if they are alone together. The vet said they needed to be seperated for a week.

I feel bad now that I didn't notice/realize this sooner. The vet said the abcess was "huge". Now looking at how much different he looks without the bulging neck, I'm really feeling bad. But at least he should be getting better soon.

I know how you feel, I had a similar experience with one of my piggies and his teeth. I got much wiser and you saved your little piggie by getting him in so don't be so hard on yourself. We learn with everything and now you can look after your little piggie and get him all better. :) Just watch his weight carefully and keep him warm. Those antibiotics can sometimes effect their eating so you may have to give him some Critical Care if he isn't eating for a little while. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.