Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Loving the fleece:)

Crystal Lee

Cavy Slave
I switched to using fleece yesterday. Can't afford to keep buying the Carefresh and I've read a lot of good things about using fleece for bedding instead. I'm loving it so far!:) Clean up is SO much easier.:) Anybody who can't afford to keep buying that expensive bedding or is just sick of the clean up definately should look into using fleece as an alternative. It works great.

Last edited:
I seriously don't know how I did it before I switched to fleece. I just now cleaned the cage (3x5, 4 boars), and it took about 5 minutes. With carefresh, it was a half-hour long process, at least.

how do you clean with fleece?
i just dont understand at all, do you vacuum?

how do you clean with fleece?
i just dont understand at all, do you vacuum?

People clean their fleece in different ways. Once or twice a week you must put the fleece in the washer to clean off the pee. But for the poops, there are couple ways to do it:
1) Sweep off the poop every day with a brush and dustpan.
2) Vaccum the poop off.
Or any other way you can think of. The poop should be cleaned off at least daily.

I'm so glad you made the switch. I haven't looked back since I switched. It's soft for the piggies and so easy to clean, plus you can get pretty patterns and colors!

I'm loving it too. Made the switch as soon as I got my cage completed, nearly a month ago now. At first I thought it increased the smell, but it was that our boars were scent-marking everything to their satisfaction whenever I did their wash! They've both stopped that now that they've decided they no longer have anything to prove, LOL.

It's just hard to believe I signed up to clean up after two MORE guys in my house!

I've never had my pigs on regular bedding. I've always used fleece since I happened upon this site before we got our pigs. But we do use Carefresh (over Yesterday's News) in the kitchen area and I just couldn't imagine using it in the whole cage. Just that small area is a pain to clean and enough of an expense for my liking.

Yay! I love hearing how much people love their fleece! I'm going to the post office tomorrow morning to pick mine up, as I missed the mail on Saturday. I'm so excited to get it in the cage! :)

Glad you like the fleece bedding my girls lola and coco love it they can't stop pop corning it was totally a great idea to change. The cleaning is so much easier. Good idea to do is get a litter pan for them to pee and mostly poop in. My girls pee all the time in the litter pan and most of the time poop in their also. So all i have to do is clean the poop daily and change the fleece every week cause it hardly get dirty or smelly :)

I love the fleece as well. Before I adopted the new gp, I had a 2 x 3 for my one cavy. That was taking me about a half hour daily to clean with the aspen/carefresh. Now I have a 2 x 5 for the bottom and the 2 x 3 on top, and it would cost me a small fortune (and God knows how much time) if I stayed with the carefresh. And now it only takes me about 20 minutes a day to clean (by vacuum). I must admit, the fleece is a great way to go :)

I love fleece too! I have my fleece sewn to a matress pad, so it's very easy to vacuum poo and then roll it up and shake it out when it's time for a wash.

Right now I have pine shavings in the big cages, since I wanted to cut down the fleece pads for the big cages to fit the new condo. My pigs are pretty mad at me, poor things. They miss their cushy fleece floor and their cozies!! Marquee will sit in the corner, which he has cleared of all shavings and just sit on the coroplast. Poor boy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.