Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Losing Fur around one eye - no other symptoms

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
Losing Fur around one eye - no other symptoms
I haven't posted in awhile - mostly just lurk and learn from others, but now I have an issue where I could use some help. Marshmallow is losing fur around one eye. Other than this she is acting completely normal - eating, drinking, pooping. Here eye is not at all crusty and she has not lost any weight. Even the other eye is fine. The only recent change is that KMS doesn't have any bluegrass hay right now, so although I have some on order, I ran out of hay and have been providing them with orchard grass (Oxbow if it matters) until the bluegrass hay is shipped. They don't love it as much as the bluegrass, but they are definitely eating it. Any ideas before I take her to the vet?

You could try some lotrimin or nystatin and see if it's a fungus. Put a tiny bit on a q-tip and rub it in well -- you don't want her to get it in her eye when she's grooming herself, and you don't want to get it in the eye. But if you're worried about it, the vet can give you an ophthalmic ointment.

Ditto bpatters.

I doubt it's the hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.