Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

looking to adopt a male HOUSTON

I hope you realize it only takes seconds for the breeding to happen. Put them together and blink a few times. Adopt a neutered male please, the ladies will be happy.

The one i wanted was a female and she was given to someone else :c

Check shelters in your area. Definitely adopt another female or a neutered male though.

THOUGH, not thou. This isn't Shakespeare.

Ok whatever, call me a "troll" ok, im trolling.. whatever satifies you. Im sensing alot of aggression out of you. You need to calm down a little bit. I dont think you even know what a troll is. Misreading, overlooking the 'rules' of this anti-breeding site doesnt mean i posted this a troll. Your simply throwing that out there and name calling. Didnt mean to hurt your feelings. But ok, i am irritating you unintentionally therefore making me a "troll". I also find it hypocritical that there is an ADOPTION FORUM on an "ANTIBREEDING WEBSITE"!!!!!

It's more the opposite of hypocritical to have an adoption forum on an anti breeding site... Adoption is rescuing piggies, not breeding them.

Check shelters in your area. Definitely adopt another female or a neutered male though.

THOUGH, not thou. This isn't Shakespeare.

Ive tried adopting thru a rescue. That was the very first thing i did. filled out all the info which was long and boring.. questions like what would happen to your pet if you die, does your landlord allow pets, do you have a vet, can you send a picture of your cage., ect.. They never replied. It seems the shelters make it so hard to adopt. You would think your adopting a human child or something. It was so simpler on Craigslist. The shelter was Precious Critters Pet Rescue Spring, TX

Ive tried adopting thru a rescue. That was the very first thing i did. filled out all the info which was long and boring.. questions like what would happen to your pet if you die, does your landlord allow pets, do you have a vet, can you send a picture of your cage., ect.. They never replied. It seems the shelters make it so hard to adopt. You would think your adopting a human child or something. It was so simpler on Craigslist. The shelter was Precious Critters Pet Rescue Spring, TX

I commend that shelter on a job well done then. They obviously care about their animals welfare. Those questions are totally reasonable and should be asked by ALL shelters of their adopters.

If you were honestly in it to love these animals and give them the best life possible you'd be happy they took such care in adopting out.

I filled out a 4 page contract with the shelter I adopted my boars from, and I'm so glad I took the time. The little dudes are such a light in my life. I'd have filled out 40 pages to ensure the SPCA that I was the perfect pig mommy.

I had to fill out a questionnaire before I adopted my pigs, and it asked a lot of questions like that, and more. They need to know that whoever is taking their animals has the means to provide proper care. And I had to sign a contract too.

I had that problem with the shelter I adopted my two older guys. The app stated it would take 24-48 hours to approve. Four days later I email them and got a call that day(Mother's day) and took my two young ones for a visit. I was able to pick them up a week later. The shelters will make it hard and if they don't call you, they want you to call to show you really want them.

This is what ive decided. I wanna get at least two males so i can have a cage of males and a cage of females. Seems like the best way to go. Ive found a beautiful young, white long haired guinea with red eyes. Im going to pic him up tomorrow. Also, the same guy has these beautiful red silk guineas, but only a female available. I may or may not end up with the female. If i do, then that means ill ultimately end up with 3 females plus 2 males and i would eventually have to upgrade my cages. The little white one for sure im getting. I like the red silk female, but IDK if i should take her in or wait to find another male.. Here are some pics

Attachments

998053_10200261925931309_598549230_n.jpg 74898_10200261928651377_2026657961_n.jpg
So by the sounds of it you are going with breeder of Satin guinea pigs?

This guy has all sorts of guineas. They are all real beautiful. Found him on craigslist. I think if im not mistaken, he shows them at shows as a sorta hobby

So after all what was said on this thread you are going with a breeder...it's a real shame.
There are so many rescues and shelters or just people who can no longer care for their guineas out there...Such a shame a home isn't gonna be given to one of the homeless ones but instead you'll support someone who is breeding them and bringing more and more into the world and risking the lives of the sows.

So after all what was said on this thread you are going with a breeder...it's a real shame.
There are so many rescues and shelters or just people who can no longer care for their guineas out there...Such a shame a home isn't gonna be given to one of the homeless ones but instead you'll support someone who is breeding them and bringing more and more into the world and risking the lives of the sows.

I realize this, but the shelter i tried to adopt from isnt exactly close by and since they didnt reply, im not going to drive that way to try and rescue a guinea if they arent gonna reply to my emails. also, my first two guineas i have now i took in off craigslist from people who had guineas that had babies which they needed to find a home. I just saw this guys posting and really liked the pigglet in the photo. Thought he'd be a good choice.

@falcor

If you're rescuing from a breeder on CL, isn't that a good thing? Some people here have done it. I don't quite see what is wrong.
Did they give you a phone number as well? Often times they want you to call them, rather than they call you, to show that you are interested in the animal. You can also send a letter to the address, since it's an established shelter.

I'm seriously tempted to find a CL breeder as well and rescue a sow. Or even go to my local petstore. But I know how wrong it is and how many lives they put in danger...and how many poor piggies are left in cages at the shelter at night because they're "too old" or "not cute enough". Everypig deserves a good life, man. Know it, live by it, respect it. Please, please, PLEASE make responsible, mature, and INFORMED decisions on how to handle getting a new piggy. We cannot stop you from doing as you will. But we can help you make the right choice :)

Congratulations on becoming a Cavy Slave! You are ALWAYS welcome here with me, just as long as you treat your animals (and others') with respect and dignity. I'm willing to help educate you on anything you'd like to know about. You can learn so much in just a short time here.

@MochaAndMoo I applaud you for the way you handled the situation, but please do not offend new members by calling them trolls :) You are my friend, and a great person, but some people are simply a little undereducated and need a little help understanding things, rather than being called out for not knowing something is wrong. Up until a day or so ago I had no idea why showing was so bad. You and my other friends helped educate me on the matter. We are all kind, respectful, and helpful individuals who should be there to help others learn all the wonderful knowledge we've already acquired. I am grateful that you all are here for me. I hope you can forgive me for calling you out, so to speak. Thank you for being there for me to have my back when I had a piggy problem :)

And again @falcor , can you give me a general location, and the maximum driving distance/time you're willing to go to get there? I can help you find someone who's not a breeder, if you would like me to help you. If you do not want to display information publicly, you can always PM me and I will be happy to help :)

@falcor

If you're rescuing from a breeder on CL, isn't that a good thing? Some people here have done it. I don't quite see what is wrong.
Did they give you a phone number as well? Often times they want you to call them, rather than they call you, to show that you are interested in the animal. You can also send a letter to the address, since it's an established shelter.

I'm seriously tempted to find a CL breeder as well and rescue a sow. Or even go to my local petstore. But I know how wrong it is and how many lives they put in danger...and how many poor piggies are left in cages at the shelter at night because they're "too old" or "not cute enough". Everypig deserves a good life, man. Know it, live by it, respect it. Please, please, PLEASE make responsible, mature, and INFORMED decisions on how to handle getting a new piggy. We cannot stop you from doing as you will. But we can help you make the right choice :)

Congratulations on becoming a Cavy Slave! You are ALWAYS welcome here with me, just as long as you treat your animals (and others') with respect and dignity. I'm willing to help educate you on anything you'd like to know about. You can learn so much in just a short time here.

@MochaAndMoo I applaud you for the way you handled the situation, but please do not offend new members by calling them trolls :) You are my friend, and a great person, but some people are simply a little undereducated and need a little help understanding things, rather than being called out for not knowing something is wrong. Up until a day or so ago I had no idea why showing was so bad. You and my other friends helped educate me on the matter. We are all kind, respectful, and helpful individuals who should be there to help others learn all the wonderful knowledge we've already acquired. I am grateful that you all are here for me. I hope you can forgive me for calling you out, so to speak. Thank you for being there for me to have my back when I had a piggy problem :)

And again @falcor , can you give me a general location, and the maximum driving distance/time you're willing to go to get there? I can help you find someone who's not a breeder, if you would like me to help you. If you do not want to display information publicly, you can always PM me and I will be happy to help :)

Buying from a breeder is not rescuing. It's supporting their business and financially enabling them to continue breeding which results in more homeless guinea pigs being euthanized. Instead of offering to find a breeder, why not help this person find a guinea pig that really needs a home?

I'm sorry if you read that wrong. It is long and hard to keep up with.

I said I was tempted to find a CL breeder, but it would be wrong.
I then stated a question as to whether falcor would give me a general location to help find someone "that is not a breeder".

I do understand that breeders are bad. I am highly intelligent and have a large capacity to learn about things I am interested in, in this case being guinea pigs and animal welfare.

As I said I am personally searching for a second guinea pig, and would enjoy helping someone else do the same, the right way.

I'm sorry if you read that wrong. It is long and hard to keep up with.

I said I was tempted to find a CL breeder, but it would be wrong.

I think @pinky was referring to when you said:

And she is correct. Buying from a breeder on CL is not rescuing.

And let us be clear, yes people here have used CL to find guinea pigs but they are from re-homing situations. No one is knowingly contacting a breeder through CL to get a guinea pig.

Houston spca is having a special this weekend all small animals 5 dollars and they have a couple of males available

Instead of offering to find a breeder, why not help this person find a guinea pig that really needs a home?
*ahem* I did see that. This is what I was referencing. Sorry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.