Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Limping with front leg

RaisinSpock

Cavy Slave
Yesterday my guinea pig started limping with his front leg. I felt it to feel if anything was broken and it feels fine, and he will use it to pull himself up on the grids when I walk by. He doesn't squeak when I touch his shoulder and foot either. He will put a small amount of weight on it when I put my hand under his front feet. When he walks he holds it up close to his body. Does this sound like a sprain? Has anyone ever had this happen? Thanks

If anyone has anything to say that would be great.

I wish I could help you. I have no idea. How long have you had him?

I have never had any experience with this either, but I do know one thing. A long time ago, back before I began teaching young children, I was a live-out, full time "Nanny". I was this children's Nanny for 3 1/2 years and one of the boys broke his arm jumping off a swing ( that I told him not too, because he was wearing flipflops and the grass was wet !) and at first when he came in to show me, I really did NOT think it was broken. It turned out that he had broken it right in half close to the elbow !!

My point is that you can never really tell if a limb is really broken. I am pretty good at first aid and things of that nature and I was fooled.

Anything is possible. He could just have one leg a bit shorter than the other. If it is a sprain, if he is "favoring" it somewhat it might be a sprain, and he might be in pain. They don't exhibit symptoms like other animals do, they hide them- due to their prey animal instincts, like with illnesses too.

I would give it a day or two more..and if he still seems to be limping I would take him in to your Vet. Have her take a x-ray though so you are certain nothing is broken. A slight fracture would be even harder to tell without an x-ray. So my friend, those are my thoughts. Hope I helped a little bit, anyway...

It could be any number of things, all of which can be determined by a cavy savvy veterinarian. Take him in and get it checked out. At the very least, you can get him some pain medicine. There's really not any way for anyone here to know what the problem might be, because it can be a variety of things, none of which can be diagnosed or treated via the internet. Please get him in to see a vet asap.

Yeah, Paula is right. Don't wait a day or two to take him in. The more I thought about it, if it is fractured or broken, or even a sprain-you wouldn't want him to be in pain and he would need pain meds. Also, if he is young, and there is a fracture or break..you wouldn't want his bones to fuse together improperly, in which he may end up with a permanent limp !

Thanks guys, he seems to be a lot better today.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.