Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Lexi- Vitamin C Deficiancy

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
So our newest adoptee Lexi was losing weight so we brought her to the vet on saturday and they diagnosed her with a vitamin C deficiency from her old home and not having a proper diet at the SPCA. They gave her a shot of vitamin C. The vet said she needs critical care 3 times a day along with 100mg of vitamin C. I have tried crushing up the oxbow tablets and putting them on pellets, veggies, in her critical care but she will not eat them. I can't get her to take the critical care either, she spits it out. She is underweight and we really have to get her weight up, how can I get her her critical care and vitamin C (She won't eat anything). We tried looking for liquid vitamin C at the pharmacy but couldn't find any, should I try dissolving it in water? We bought some baby food: Carrot-(carrot and water) Sweet Potato-(sweet potato and water) and apple-(Apple, water, ascorbic acid), we are going to try mixing a bit with the critical care. Are the baby foods safe? and do they have any vitamin C? We are going back next Saturday for a full blood workup and x-rays on her molars.

sorry to here about that and I don't know about the baby food but for the tablet if she and you are ok with it you could crush the tablet up until it is like a powder then get very hot water and put the crushed tablet into the water so it desolves then wait until it is cooled down and try to syringe feed her (not with a needle of course just incase I didn't make my self clear)I had to do the same for my hamster when he was diagnosed with the same

Crush the Oxbow vitamin C pellets, dissolve them in water and syringe feed.
Baby food is mixed in with Critical Care to make it more appetizing. Critical Care is superior to baby food as it is higher is fiber, carbohydrates and fats to sustain a sick pig, so it shouldn't replace it.

Crush the Oxbow vitamin C pellets, dissolve them in water and syringe feed.
Baby food is mixed in with Critical Care to make it more appetizing. Critical Care is superior to baby food as it is higher is fiber, carbohydrates and fats to sustain a sick pig, so it shouldn't replace it.
Yes, I wouldn't replace it just add it in.

Pet stores carry liquid vitamin C for guinea pigs. You add 8 drops to their pellets and you can also do a stress dose of .5 on one of the small syringes (50 ml) or (16) drops...and then gently administer it orally to her...ask your vet how to do it or watch some YouTube videos...

I wouldn't give them baby food honestly. I don't give my baby baby food. It has SO many preservatives in it! When you are trying to syringe feed, are you placing the syringe in the side of the mouth, towards the back? This makes my piggys chew, which means they are swallowing. Whenever they quit chewing, I just gently twirl it so it moves on their tongue and they start again. Pet stores sell a liquid form of Vitamin C, that can be added to water (not a good option) or dribbled on the food. Maybe give that a try?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.